We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

First of all, I am not one for leaving negative reviews but this place is the biggest con I have come across and I dont want anyone else to be ripped off like us!

We booked the hire car through travel republic and paid about £80 which we thought was reasonable. This included the Total Damage Collision Excess Waiver which was an additional cost but we thought it was worthwhile.

When we went to collect the car we handed over our paperwork (which we booked in my husbands name as he was the driver) and was told that we could either leave a 900 euro deposit or pay 60 euro for the excess waiver. I explained we had paid for this and pointed it out on the paperwork and she said "this means nothing to us". I explained we had paid additional money for it and she just shrugged and said that it didnt apply to their cars.

We reluctantly paid the 60 euro and was then told we had to pay a further 80 odd euro for petrol (for a 1.2 fiesta). I explained we wouldnt need a full tank and she told me everyone has to pay it. I said in that case we would have a smaller car and she told me the cost of fuel would be the same!

By this point I was fed up and had wasted enough of my first day so said I would pay. I handed over my credit card and she said to pay with it I would have to be insured too. I explained it was a joint account but she refused and said I would have to pay a further 16 euro.

Only when she asked me to put my pin in did she say that we also had to pay VAT on all this (on fuel??)

When we went out to the car it had a huge scratch and scuffs on the rear driver side. I pointed this out to a member of staff (after spending 10 minutes trying to convince him to the car) and asked that he note this on the paperwork. He said as we had paid the 60 euro waiver it didnt matter. I explained that I did not wish to be held responsible for the damage but he refused to note it on the paperwork. I have ended up taking photos on my phone to prove it was there before we took it.

We were told it would take 5 minutes to drop the car back off. When we went the car park was so jammed with parked up cars we couldnt even get to the drop off point and ended up just handing the keys to a very surly lady member of staff who didnt even say "hello, thank you, kiss my a***"

If you have booked a car with goldcar I would STRONGLY recommend you cancel if you can and go elsewhere.

london
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

We use insurance4carhire.com . We parked our car at the beach and came back to find someone had driven down the side of it ! Paid our money to the rental company and got a refund from the insurance within 10 days of getting back to the uk . The best £45 i have spent !

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Fawlboy can I just ask, did you have to get a police report and also inform your car hire rental company immediately when you found out about your unfortunate incident?

london
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

No police report and just declared the damage [ it wasnt hard to see ! ] when we handed the car back . Took photos etc but all went through ok .

a h
Abu Dhabi, United...
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM GOLDCAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We refused to pay the all-in insurance because it was very expensive and were told we would regret it. When we received the car it was full of scratches so we spent a lot of time getting it all on the form. When we returned we were told that the rearview mirrors were scratched (yes we missed that when we collected the car). Although we didn't cause the scratches we couldn't proof it and were charged E500 for 2 new mirrors...

I am sure the pull this trick on a regular basis. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO OPERATE...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Completely agree with the above comments. DO NOT USE GOLDCAR.

I recently rented a car for a week from them. It was 'brand new' according to the receptionist so I could simply leave an imprint of my card for the deposit and drive away.

The car was covered in scratches so I spent an hour filling out the paperwork before leaving the forecourt.

I returned the car, it was signed off as being returned in the correct state.

I returned to the UK to find they had taken £550 from my credit card which has had to be investigated by Barcleycard and only just returned 3 months on.

Dublin
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Hi Pather_12

As you appear to have paid via credit card you may be interested to know, if from UK, that Section 75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act 1974 makes credit card providers equally liable (with retailers) for ensuring that you get what you paid for when you made a credit card purchase. All purchases between ST£100 and ST£30,000 made with a UK credit card or store card are covered by Section 75, even if you only partially pay with the card you are covered for the whole amount, or the item is obtained from an overseas supplier or bought abroad, as would be the case in regard to car hire in Portugal by a UK resident.

The legislation can even offer a refund for any outlay you had to make (known as a 'consequential loss') as a result of a problem. This may be of particular interest to Trip Advisor members who may have the unfortunate experience of their holiday company or airline going bust while abroad and means they are covered for example to purchase flight tickets to get home.

I would strongly advise all visitors to Algarve to deal direct with the car hire company and not book via an agent. Not alone will you save money, but you will also know where you stand in terms of what's included and what is extra.

While the recession and austerity measures imposed by the Government (IVA, Utility Cost Increases, Tolls etc.) are all having a very detremental impact on Tourism & Tourism related industries in the Algarve, and some businesses are clearly trying to make up their losses via sharp or short sighted practices such as those described above, there are plenty of others businesses who take a different view,

One such company is Zitauto. I use them myself on a regular basis and they often have offers such as five days for the price of three. Good points about using Zit are that they are not alone based at the airport but also have an office near the Strip in Albufeira, so you can pick the car up at the airport and drop it off in Albufeira or visa versa. Also you can drive to Spain, both at no extra cost as their insurance covers Spain, unlike other company who charge extra for driving in Spain.

The pick up at airport and drop off in Albufeira and visa vera is most useful to long stayers and holiday property owners who may not wish to have a car for all of the time they are in Albufeira. I know a lot of people who take a car for five days on arrival at the airport, then drop it off at the office in Albufeira, and when they are planning to go home pick up a car at the office in Albufeira and drop it at the airport five days later. Unfortunately during the peak months they often have no cars and you may find their office in Albufeira closed.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

People need to read the fuel policies of car hire companies/agents before reserving.It's in your own interests to check this out and choose accordingly.Choose pick up full/return full.It's no use complaining about the heavy fuel costs when you get there...it's too late.

All companies charge a high insurance premium.This should only be activated if you return your car with significant damage.Otherwise this is cancelled on the return of the vehicle from your credit card.The fact that you have taken independent excess insurance elsewhere means nothing to the hire companies,but in the event that you do damage the car you can claim the cost(hopefully all) taken by the hirer back through them.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Don't know why people use a broker when you can DIY by dealing directly with local hire car firms.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

Mosley,

Its not always cheaper to book through the local car hire firms as brokers can get better rates, i found than economy car hire were cheaper than going through the individual companies although i agree that might not always be the case. Its probably best to compare the rates from the broker with the companies own ones, i always do, same with hotels too.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Goldcar - avoid at all costs!!!!!

I agree that sometimes brokers can get "better deals"" at first glance. In my experience though, by the time you've added on extras you end up paying more. You obviously do research and compare prices. A lot of the posts where people shout they've been conned, scammed or ripped off are one time posters who have obviously not read brokers T&Cs . Had they read them they would see that basically your contract is between yourself and the local firm who have their own T&Cs . Fuel prices are mostly given, even GOLDCAR quote their fuel prices, so when people complain they've been robbed over fuel prices, they've obviously not read T&Cs they've agreed to accept. Any problems over the hire co are not the brokers problem and you're left to deal with the local firm used yourself.