We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

What is the normal practice for tipping in Albufeira? Do restaurants charge for bread and butter?

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Jaipur
££ - £££, Indian, Asian, Balti
Stews & More
££ - £££, European, Portuguese
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Yes its called a couvert. (its on the menu under starters) some restaurants charge more than others for bread , pate, olives, marinated carrots etc.. If you don't want the bread when they automatically bring it to the table without you asking for it, say you don't want it, but check they havn't charged you for it when the bill arrives as some will still try and charge even though you havn't used it, you can then dispute it. Even paying couvert charge many still leave a tip 5 or 10% of total bill. Personally it depends on service and how good the food was that determines what we tip. If food and service bad we won't tip, it's very rare we don't tip but on occasions it has been known.

Coimbra, Portugal
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I'm portuguese and I don't think I've never given tips at all. It's not usual among us...

Sometimes the bread is included in the menu, the butter I think you have to pay. As Jayjan said, if you don't want to eat it, say at the very beginning of the meal to take it away as you don't want it and, at the end, check that it isn't charged.

Chelmsford
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I usually tip 10%

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Portuguese are not known for tipping but standard practise, if service is good is 10% and I know that the staff are always very grateful and rely on their tips enormously.

5. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:17