We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

Hello...we are planning on visiting one of these two beaches on Friday - either Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes.

Is one better than the other? i.e. more picturesque, bigger, better facilities etc etc.

Is it possible to walk from one to the other?

We will be travelling there from the marina.

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

You can't walk directly from one to the other. except by some rather scary paths (more like goat tracks) up and over the cliffs, or the long way round by road

São Rafael is a bit bigger than Arrifes, both have a beach bar/restaurant but that's about it. Both are surrounded by cliffs, so they are like little coves really. They are sheltered from the wind to some extent.

Access from car parks is down a steep ramp and/or steps.

There's plenty of pictures on line. Go to www.google.co.uk select images then search for them using the Portuguese word praia eg praia sao rafael and praia dos arrifes.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 15:13
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

Have a look at this interactive beach guide http://albufeira.com/beach/

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

If the tide is in, there won't be any beach at Arrifes but there will be at São Rafael. I have walked across from one to the other many times, it is not as scary as Cubsur makes out, more back to nature!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

I have a poor sense of balance, looking down at all that sea.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

Word of warning.... do not get too near the edges of those cliffs, there has been quite a lot of rock falls. They are very fragile. Also dont sunbathe on the beach to near the cliffs either.

Ps Sao Rafael our fav beach.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 18:18
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

My profile pic is of São Rafael beach. It is lovely and you can get some great photos at both of them.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

Thanks everyone. Some great info on this thread. Ordinarily I would be comfortable with the 'scary paths over the cliffs' but at present I have an injury to my ankle from playing football....oh and I'll be travelling with several girls plus one hyperactive infant. The reason for the visit (for me at least) is to get some stunning photographs using long exposures.

8. Re: Sao Rafael or Dos Arrifes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:17