We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floyd's bar has closed down

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Floyd's bar has closed down

The place has been recommended many times in the forum, but it is my sad duty to tell you that Floyd's Bar on Cerro Branco, Albufeira, has closed down.

A combination of rising costs, fewer customers and meddling bureaucracy.

Galway
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Is this going to be a trend . ?

It's sad to hear of any business having to close.

Empty shells, where there were bars /restauraunts ,are going to become eyesores and lead to other failures .

It's a shame .

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Just posted yesterday I thought businesses would close, hope I didn't put the voodoo sign there!

I really think Albufeira is too big a resort for all round trade now as tour operators and airlines reduce flights and up prices. Hotels will probably close also, especially the poor ones.

I would hate to run a pub and work all hours for very little reward, it must be soul destroying! Everyone gets their cut, before you get a penny or cent in this case. Businesses can't raise prices too high as they'll force customers away and fewer tourists mean less customers. Something has got to give and looks like it's started.

Was this a British bar or local bar? Sounds British though.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

"Is this going to be a trend . ?"

It's been happening for some time but is accelerating. The huge rise in VAT last year, social security contributions doubled, electricity prices increasing, water up by 800% etc etc is creating an inflationary spiral. Mix into that the declining number of visitors (for their own financial reasons) spending less money and you are starting the recipe for disaster.

Also, we figured out that about 50% of our group of ex-pats that would be regularly mingling in various bars say 5 years ago have returned home and are not it seems being replaced. So that's the hard core regulars going down in numbers.

Then there is the growing trend for all-inclusive resorts and hotels, which are beginning to drain the local economy.

Final ingredient is the increasingly meddlesome bureaucracy which is costing businesses a small fortune, in that you have to have permits and licences (with massive fines and no appeal if you transgress) for everything conceivable and some things that are not.

I think things are going to be worse before they get better.

Sorry to sound rather gloomy but on this final day of 2012 it's hard to have a positive outlook for 2013.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Just put down the phone from someone, who said, 'it's happening across Europe', when I tried to explain. Not to this extent. Very sad about Floyd's and everyone else, who is struggling to run a business of any kind in this country.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Paulo at the Absol Bar is not opening until a bit later in May this year,will miss this little bar as going in April like previous years,and its a pleasent little bar with a secure games area for kids and very nice people.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Sounds a bit like over here cubsur you need a licence for everything they even tried to charge me for putting my price list in the window said it was advertising and if you dont put one in the bring you to court for not displaying one.In the next couple of months we will have water meters in every house and business we now have a property tax based on the value of your house if all this sounds familar Portugal are following all the taxes and charges that has been imposed on Ireland by the IMF the EU you now have all the Irish builders that went broke over here living down there doing the same thing that they did here.

It will not get better or worse just change to the bankers advantage.

Wyre
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

When will the world realise austerity does not work?. Obama has the right idea but the Republican muppets won`t allow thier paymasters the very wealthy pay a decent amount of tax, this in turn prevents extra cash going into working class peoples pokets to stimulate the economy.

Paulo at the Absol Bar runs a great but small bar which is possibly 200 yards too far up the strip to fulfill its potential. Will be in there late June god willing

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Cubsur were you in Tunes bar between the 27 to29 Dec ? and if you were what do you look like?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

Daveliz this is our man Cubsur on his 60th Birthday Bash weekend earlier this year. Hope the link works.

albufeira.com/forum/uploads/957/023_Copy.JPG

Edited: 31 December 2012, 18:59
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Floyd's bar has closed down

definately over the hill their even closing down the boozers in case he comes in Happy New Year Cubsur

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira