We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning on Holiday letings

GALE
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Warning on Holiday letings

I have rented out a property with holiday lettings for many years without any problem.

This year however they have modified their website in a way that is unprofessional and unethical.

Previously when a holidaymaker made a enquiry the first email would go through holiday lettings address and from then on it would be private between holiday maker and property owner. The same applies with owners direct and Holiday rentals portals.

However Holiday lettings have now changed their site so all personal private and financial emails go through their site which I find unethical and unprofessional. Besides the Hijacking of this personal information the site is also creating a second problem. When the first enquiry comes through there is no problem. However after this all other emails come through as a single line format like a news letter and sent into junk mail.

As I say I have had many years with HL but if their method doesn’t change I will not be renewing my subscription when it runs out

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

You'll be interested reading the following:

…wordpress.com/tag/holidaylettings-co-uk/

I wouldn't book anymore, just let the subscription run out and play safe.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

I also advertise on Holiday Lettings and was furious with this change in policy. If you reply, not only does it track through their system but the enquirer's email address disappears from the original enquiry.

There is a way to bypass this though. Instead of replying, forward the email and copy and paste the person's email address from the body of the enquiry form into the 'To' section of the email to send. Alternatively, 'reply' but copy and paste the person's email address, replacing the Holiday Lettings tracking address. That way, you will correspond privately with the guest, without any third party interference.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

mmmmmmmm just makes you wonder whether this new method of tracking email through them and the owner is going to be a future way of charging owners commission for email enquiries leading to a booking on top of their fees for advertising on their website. As Bld211 says copy and paste owners email address and send directly to them, thus ommitting any further correspondance with holidaylettings.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

wow a bit forward on my above reply, just read link FTHW posted. Seems holidaylettings new modification of email is open to abuse.

london
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

My sister uses holiday lettings and whilst she says the new system seems to have over complicated the proces all you do is go to the guests details on the main page and it has the phone no if any and the email address so i dont think you have to use their system at all .. just email the clien tdirectly .

GALE
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

Thank you Bid 211 for your post. Sorry if I am a bit thick but don’t understand how to find the enquirers email address to cut and paste. It is nowhere in the Holiday lettings enquirers email.

The only time that I receive the enquirers email address is when they fill out the booking form, and I NEVER send this until they have asked all their questions and I have fully answered, and I am happy that they wish to go ahead. I hate pushy sales

I could ask them for their email address earlier in order to correspond privately. But can you imagine the horror image this would conjure up in their minds.

As JayJan says it does seem as if they are preparing to kidnap positive enquiries in the future for a fee. They have already set up a booking/calendar for monitoring and registering bookings for anyone daft enough to use this and supply their own hard earned information. Holiday lettings are pushing this hard every time you go to Owners sign in to update your advert.

I think as before I will let my advert run its course and use Owners direct only as they seem to be honest and up front and 80% of my bookings come from them anyway. Good luck with yours.

Just seen the post from from Fawlboy. THANK YOU There is a section on the initial enquiry which allows enquirers to leave their phone number, but many do not use this as they do not want to be brow beaten by advertisers and I never ever phone enquirers. Again imagine the picture if some one phones you and ask for your email address so they can miss out Holiday letting they would think it was a scam. Also there is no place on the new enquirers email showing the enquirers email address any more instead as mentioned now all correspondence as to go into holiday lettings files and who know who has access to them? I would recommend caution to your sister and anyone else using or thinking of using the present HL system. As mentioned earlier,in the past years I have had no problem whatever, until this new devious system was introduced.

london
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

Apparently you log in .. go to the inbox .. click on the person who has enquired and then this brings up the page that shows the guest details [ bottom right ] .. she reckons it always has an email address [ so far ! ] but granted not always a phone no . Once you have the email you have no need to use the holiday lettings system at all . anyway doesnt bother me i always phone her direct ! :)

GALE
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

Dear Fawlboy.

I did as you said, and went to login-inbox, and the last enquirer’s name, as you suggested.

This opened up my emails to them including all the attachments including personal and private information on myself and my family that I thought the enquirer is entitled to know.( It was very sobering and brought me up short)people often reply with their own personal information and this too is hijacked by HL without their knowledge or consent. HL also has access to how much I charge any discount given to the enquirer for their personal circumstances. THIS IS BIG BROTHER IN ITS WORST SENSE. As Jay Jan suggested it gives them access to charge a % of sales in the future on top of their advertising charge and hold owner to ransom. Google and Yahoo have already said they don’t hold clients emails on their files and here is HL now doing exactly that. I did find the item to the right on enquirers email as you mentioned but it means the long process of opening their websites finding the address copying and pasting it back in to Outlook instead of just pressing reply which I have done for years with HL and do with Owners direct, so it has been hidden for a reason

At the same time just below this enquires details is a large button named send a quote and again it drags you into filling out a quote using HL files and again it records all your financial details for prosperity for anyone to read and check out in the future.

So once again Fawlboy thank you for the information it was very enlightening . I have put this post on the Albufeira site as I live here, but perhaps it should be on a wider forumbut s I don’t know how) as it affects all people who may consider using Holiday Lettings Ste. Again let me be clear, this is not a witch hunt for HL I have used them for years with no complaints. It is this new deceptive scheme that they are using

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

Adam maybe try albufeira.com forum there are lots of members who own & rent property out in Albufeira who may use or consider using HL.I can't think of any wider forum that would cover this unless there is one on tripadvisor that covers holiday rentals by owners.

Adam I have found one forum http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/

Edited: 12 January 2013, 14:20
Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning on Holiday letings

I am very disturbed by this whole situation with Holiday Lettings and very angry with them. There has to be a breach of ethics here somewhere, as it is easy to forget to replace their tracking email address with the guest's email and as has been mentioned above, give them privy to all sorts of personal and sensitive information which is none of their business.

Who knows how many staff can access sufficient personal and financial information for identity theft?

All the big companies like Home Away (Holiday Rentals) and FlipKey (TripAdvisor) have installed new dashboards where you can enter bookings into their system to block dates on calendars, etc. You don't have to use it. FlipKey also uses a tracking email but if you hit reply to that, your own name comes up in the tracking but again, you can bypass this by copying and pasting the guests's email address.

I entered into a contract with them before they changed their systems and am really unahppy about it and wondering how I can get out of it in light of this new system, as they have my card details on file.

I am VERY worried about Holiday Lettings.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira