We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Arrived

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just Arrived

First time in Albufeira (ot Portugal), arrived late yesterday. Staying just the other side of the Bull RIng from the strip.

For anyone asking about the weather, today was warm but quite a strong breeze.

We caught the train down to the Old Town and spent a few hours on the beach and ate in one of the side streets. Not sure of the name of the place but it was decent food and very reasonably priced.

The has been probably posted a million of times before but anyone recommened a resonably priced restraunt for this evenings meal? It needs to be on the train 'route' (more or less) so we can hop off somewhere and eat.

We're going to go to Zoo Marine 1 day so if anyone could recommend the best place to get the tickest from (at the cheapest price!), that would be appreciated.

Any other tips and 'must dos' also welcome.

1. Re: Just Arrived

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 20:38
Edited: 05 April 2013, 20:38
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Arrived

There are restaurants of every type here in Albufeira and without knowing what type of food you like or dislike it's not sensible to recommend. If you take the 'train' to the old town, avoid the main square and head for the 'street to the tunnel' (properly Rua 5 Outubro) and there you will fidn two places popular with locals and regular visitors alike. These are O Veleiro and O Catraio.

Much closer, about 5 minutes walk away in the 'strip' is a popular British run restaurant called 'The Cottage'.

Zoomarine tickets are the same price wherever you go. Make sure you book transport tickets if you don't have a car and make doubly sure that you know exactly where you will be picked up.

There are a couple of ticket shops at the top end of the strip by the traffic lights. I don't know if they are open at this time of year.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 19:59
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Arrived

Cheers for the replies.

cubsur - we like any kind of food :)

We ended up at A Travessa (tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189112-d2…) - just came across it when wandering around.

3 course meal, few drinks. 50 Euro - good food. May go back.

On Zoomarine, how much (roughly) would it be for a taxi (from the strip).

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Arrived

Do NOT miss Os Compadres for their set meal. Albufeira's hidden gem and possibly the best value set meal in Albufeira (in the main area anyway). Worth visiting more than once and will make other meals look expensive!

Bread, soup, main, dessert, coffee and drink which can include a 1/2 litre of wine all for an amazing 8 euros per head.......................yes 8 euros per head!!

The mixed grill for the main is recommended and the fish looks excellent.

It's located on the top 'Strip', the less rowdy section of the 'Strip'.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Next door there is a highly rated English restaurant, which is reasonably priced especially as food is cooked by a chef. Check out their menu if you visit Os Compadres.

A Chinese restaurant which has been recommended for their 5 euro meal is the Gold Palace and near the 'Worms' roundabout. I'm looking forward to trying that in a few weeks. Excellent reviews.

If you fancy a cheap steak meal, then The Cockerel Country Kitchen does 2 for 1 steak (and other 2 for 1) meals for an amazing 13.95 euros for TWO meals (some other places will charge that or more for ONE steak meal). Another restaurant I'm eager to try after reading the 'rave' reviews. Down from the Bullring and on a side street on the right heading towards the beach.

Enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Arrived

newkid1969, what a fantastic reply! You've probably just sorted where we're eating for the next week :) (much appreciated).

We're off to find out how much a taxi will be to Zoo Marine (want to make the most of the day so keen to avoid a long coach journey + we've found a 25% discount voucher for paying on the door) - and then play some crazy golf :)

The weather looks similar to yesterday, warm (ish) with a breeze.

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Arrived

Personally I don't like recommending anywhere I have not eaten at myself. The restaurant reviews section can sometimes be a it misleading.

Wyre
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Arrived

Taxi to Zoomarine is about 14 Euro each way from Strip area. Hope its improved this season as last year it was disapointing

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Arrived

Quote 'Personally I don't like recommending anywhere I have not eaten at myself'

Then I would never have discovered Os Compadres and what a miss that would have been.

It was through mass recommendations and great reviews and one reason that brings me back to Albufeira.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Arrived

Hi,

Travelling in 3 weeks to albuferia,let me know how you got in with the restraunt recommendations. Enjoy

Edel

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Arrived

Just back from the beach at the botom of the strip. Good fun, kids playing in the waves. On the way back up we had lunch (and a couple of pints :) ) at the Cottage. Very good, Going to go back ary the breakfat (2.95 euros including orange juice).

We also went for a walk to see if we could find some of the places recommended.

Found Gold Palce no problem bur am a bit confused where the 'top strip' is. I 'thinking' you get to the top of the strip and then go across the road?? Off out again shortly to see if I can find Os Compadres

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira
Recent Conversations