We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Albufeira right for us?

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Albufeira right for us?

Hi everyone.

Hoping I may be able to get some advice.

We have looked at Albufeira for the last couple of years but ended up somewhere else each time.

This year my OH has his heart set on going, but I am not too sure if its right for us and wondering if somebody can help.

We're in our mid-twenties. Holidays for us are mainly to chill out, try lovely new food and explore a few new places. We like a few cocktails, and maybe 1 or 2 big nights out during the holiday, but nothing OTT (nothing on the scale of Magaluf or Kavos). I don't really like resorts that are like Blackpool with sun, we visited Marmaris and didn't really like it at all, I like to feel like I am actually in another country if that makes any sense.

We're hoping to visit for 1 week or 10 days mid September.

Would Albuferia be a good choice for us? I am trying to do some research but it sounds like it's such a massive resort I don't know where to start. So far I have worked out there seems to be an older and newer part but other than that I am struggling. There are millions of hotels to choose from too but it's difficult to decide where I need to be looking, and this is what's put me off when I've looked in previous years.

Advice would be brilliant!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

Hello, we hated Marmaris too (Kalkan this year!)

Sounds like you need to stay old town end with perhaps a view to getting a taxi for big nights down yo the strip, which IMHO was exactly like Blackpool in the sun and that was this May.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

Perhaps have a look at Olhos d Agua its a smaller resort and still has some authentic touches but still plenty bars & restaurants to go at its approx 4 miles East of Albufeira and reachable by taxi or bus if you feel the need to visit for a big night out, Next door to Olhos d Agua is Acoteias which is quieter still if you wish to chill out but you can walk into Olhos for your nightlife. Perhaps Sunndays can elaborate more on Olhos d Agua has he/she has more experience of the resort than I do & maybe Cubsur could help you with bus times for the resorts mentioned above .

Or west of the old town & marina in Gale, or Sesmarias would maybe suit you.

As Leigh says The strip is very British and you would possibly not like it.. The old town too has a lot of restaurants & bars genned around the brits but it still does retain some of its authenticity if you wander away from the main square and into the little cobbled streets.

london
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

You could have a look at Alvor , nice town with loads of good restaurants and bars and a cracking beach . Good couples and families place . For nightlife you can get a taxi to Praia da Rocha as its only a 10 min cab ride .

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like we defintely need to stay away from the strip.

The old town sounds much better. For some reason I thought the old town was full of karaoke bars and that sort of thing. It does sound much more our style, although I will look at the other resorts mentioned too. It's just difficult trying to find the right balance, somewhere too quiet would be just as bad as somewhere full of British bars!

Is there a map available displaying hotels? I've been looking at hotels this afternoon, but its difficult to work out where the hotels are. In fact it seems a lot of them that are listed as been in Albuferia actually aren't anywhere near. We won't be hiring a car, and would rather not be using taxis everyday, so need somehwhere pretty close to everything.

Thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

have a look at the Rocomar in the old town its directly overlooking the ocean on the cliffs above

rocamarhotels.com/rocamar-exclusive-hotel.ht…

again in the old town Vila Sao Vicente approx 10 mins walk to the old town square.

hotelsaovicentealbufeira.com/…

Look at T/A reviews on both hotels.

Have a look at the map & hotels on booking.com and click on the orange markers to show where hotels are situated in and around the old town, hopefully it will give you an idea of hotels available and where they are situated

http://www.booking.com/landmark/pt/old-town-5.en.html?aid=314919;label=old-town-5-t0wmtJaZPM_q9xQyZqC2TgS7528224314:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t2:neg;ws=&gclid=CNOS3qbH4bcCFc3HtAodnjkANw if the link isn't direct you will need to copy and paste into your browser bar

Paisley
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

You could try google earth? If you get the name/ address of the hotel you fancy then look for it on there you'll get a good idea of what's roundabout? Been doing it myself as we're going over in 2 weeks so been trying to get a feel of the surrounding area etc?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

BTW there are Karaoke bars in the old town but as said previously they are easily avoidable if you move into the little streets off the Main square. Look at this link for map of albufeira old town albufeirauncovered.com/about-albufeira/map.a…

Edited: 13 June 2013, 18:37
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

also forgot have a look at www.albufeira.com its a great website for info on beaches and lots of interactive stuff, plus a forum where you can ask questions.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

Thanks everyone!

The Rocamar looks gorgeous! Gutted it seems to be booked up when we're looking to go :( Got a list of hotels to look through so at least I've made a start.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Albufeira right for us?

good luck Dazz, hope you find somewhere to stay around the old town area, wherever it maybe i'm sure you & yours will enjoy the experience.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira