We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Albuferia

Scotland
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit to Albuferia

Hi, As a family we have always gone to Spain, but this year myself and my partner are getting a week away alone and have choosen to stay in Albuferia in the Do Cerro hotel. We are arriving at the end of August for 1 week. Looking for advice on good restaurants and nice bars within the old town where we can enjoy the evenings, we like music/entertainment etc. Any other info/advice on the old town would be appreciated.

many thanks

TTGV

Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

Hi

Stayed in Do Cerro twice, I loved it. Quirky, clean and friendly. My two favourite restaurants are A Tasquinho de Rossio, perfect for fish lovers with a really good service and a setting without without any hint of being a pushy overpriced tourist trap, see reviews on here for yourself. My other is O Zuca, again for it simplicity and good good food.

The hotel is a ten minute max walk to old town, with beach being five minutes away. Any questions just ask. Enjoy your hols.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

I advise if you do fancy going to Tasquinha Do Rossio is pre book a table as its very popular, only small indoors but quite a few outside tables.. No 1 On Tripadvisor for restaurants. The look of the place is nothing fancy & may put some people off trying it but the food is wonderful.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

If you like Thai food try Royal Orchid and Casa Da Fonte both just up the steps at side of tunnel to the beach.

Also Cabana Fresca on the front near fishermans canopy.

T/A reviews : tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Royal Orchid:

7 bad food reviews but we have never yet had a bad meal there. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

Casa Da Fonte:

if you want bargain tourist menus try O Veleiro & O Catriao both on the street where the tunnel leads to the beach.

T/A reviews:

Edited: 11 July 2013, 23:57
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

whoops BTW Casa Da Fonte is Portuguese.

Bars for Music: Sir Harrys, Rock Cafe & Bank on the old town square plus many more, just hve a mooch & enjoy the ambience.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 00:01
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

For a decent bar with a nice outside terrace and view and close by, turn right out of Do Cerro, walk past the middle school graffiti display, keep going past Hotel Belver Boa Vista, down the wiggly hill and turn right at the bottom for the Arte Bar.

No more than 5 minutes walk.

There's a also a fairly good supermarket (open 12 hours a day, seven days a week) and cash machine next door to Arte Bar. That cash machine is useful as it rarely gets cleaned out at weekends unlike those in town itself.

If you go left out of the hotel and walk about 250 yards there is Victoria Bar, British run with pool table and snacks, but no view.

Hotel do Cerro means Hotel of the Hill and it is an uphill walk all the way back from the old town. A taxi is hardly worth it. The distance on foot is about 400 metres, the one way traffic system means you have to walk almost that far to the taxi rank, wait for ages, then it goes 1km around the houses.

The way back is less steep if you follow the road rather than the very steep footpath by the school.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 11:02
Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

Don't forget Vertigo for live music too!

(My sons played there in June :-) )

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

In my earlier post I forgot that the entrance of Do Cerro is a few steps from the street corner. First when out of the door turn left and then it is right or left at the corner.

Scotland
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

Many thanks for all your kind replies, I am looking forward to my first trip to Portugal sounds such a lovely and beautiful country.

TTGV

Barnstaple...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

hi will be at the eden resort hotel nov 3013 is there a beach with a small amount of steps along the front please?

Barnstaple...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

hi is there a bus service from albuferia to straight to vilamoura and from albuferia to carverio ( not correct spelling sorry )

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to Albuferia

"hi will be at the eden resort hotel nov 3013 is there a beach with a small amount of steps along the front please?"

Go into Albufeira old town and head for the old Fishermen's beach and the pier. Access to the beach there is flat. Walking it's nearly a mile in all from Eden Resort. A taxi will get you to within about 200 yards, at the taxi rank at Avenida 25 de Abril. There is no convenient bus.

Buses to Vilamoura and Carvoeiro - Yes to the first, no to the second.

In both cases you will need to make your way to the main Albufeira bus station which is about half a mile from Eden Resort. There are local buses up the hill to the bus station, from the stop outside the local Health Centre at the bottom of the hill from Eden Resort.

Albufeira - Vilamoura times at www.algarvebus.info/002e.htm and coming back www.algarvebus.info/002w.htm

For Carvoeiro it's necessary to get a bus to Lagoa and change there. The connections are not that good.

Albufeira - Lagoa and back www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

Lagoa - Carvoeiro and back www.algarvebus.info/031.htm

And the really annoying thing is that the fast buses to and from Lagoa go past the stop I mentioned above but will not stop there. For Lagoa, only a couple of buses a day stop anywhere near the Eden Resort.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira