We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Is it suitable for a couple who have always gone to the Spanish costas.

I personally thought Albufeira is probably the nearest to the Spanish style hol

Like to walk on a promenade on an evening or round the town for a few drinks.

No hills required

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Albufeira has no promenade. Most of the beach is lined by low sandstone cliffs. May of the newer hotels etc are a mile or more from the centre of town and beaches.

The whole area is in general very hilly. The old town end has a fairly large flat area with numerous restaurants and bars. But almost everywhere one might be staying is a hefty 10 - 15 minute uphill walk or a short taxi ride. Local buses run out from the old town to various suburbs but only until 2315 in summer, 2115 in winter.

Anyone with mobility issues is advised to steer clear of Albufeira, unless going all inclusive and never planning to leave the hotel grounds.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

You could try Lagos, it's not as hilly as Albufeira. Nice old town and a long seafront walkway

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Praia da Rocha is almost more or less flat although access to the some sections of the beach is via steps or long wooden ramps. And with all the high rise I imagine it looks more like the costas!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

We took my in-laws (both in early 70's,one using a stick to aid walking) to Albufeira at Easter and they had a fantastic time, and can't wait to go back. They managed fine, walking/escalator to Old Town, then taxi back if required. They have holidayed all over the World in their 'younger' days but had recently been sticking to Tenerife/Majorca, but are now hooked on the Algarve. It depends on your outlook, I suppose. They are really glad they tried Albufeira and have been recommending it to their friends.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Try Armacao de Pera. There is a "prom" there and the whole resort is on the flat. Plenty of restaurants and places to have a drink to watch the world go by.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

I`ve met hundreds of older couples in Albufeira, many around the Club Praia da Oura area ( they have the bowling green) including people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters using the Giro bus ... for which you can get a pre-paid 80 cent fare ( 1 hour ticket, change anywhere) that let`s you get around cheaply. If staying slightly longer (more than 10 days) you can get an OAP card (£16 euro for the month) which is around half that fare if well used.

Cubsur has rightly pointed out the hazards, but if you avoid climbing hills and choose the right walks, it is a great area for any age.

Kildare
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

Bringing my 80 year old Dad out for a few days to the Old Town in Sept, last time he was over about three years ago we stayed in Cerro Grande and he had no problem walking in to the old town. This time we're at the top of the escalators so he should be fine.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

I know many people who have come to Albufeira on holiday who have mobility problems or of an age where they don't want to negotiate hills and have not encountered any problems. Near the Old Town, on the side of the escalators, access is easy. The eastern part of Albufeira near the Bullring, and Parque da Corcovada is one of the flattest parts of Albufeira. The Giro bus has an excellent service, doing a circular routs of Albufeira all day and late into the night, so it is generally easy to get around without a problem.

9. Re: ALBUFEIRA suitable for a couple in there 70s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:18