We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Hi,

I am looking for a selfcatering house/apartment for a long weekend in October. I have found this house near the Old Town Square & rented out by Dick Anderson - it looks pretty good. However, the house has no reviews. I've also never used homeaway before and it has mixed comments from previous tripadvisor posts.

The property is on homeaway, reference - 1011439

Has anyone got any advice/review of either the property or their experience of homeaway in the Albufeira area?

Thanks!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Homeaway is just a website that private owners or property rental agents use to advertise their holiday accommodation, so if/when you book through Homeaway, you are actually dealing with an individual and not Homeaway.

(For instance, if you decide to book the house to which you refer, you would be dealing with the man you mention, Homeaway would have no involvement whatsoever.)

We've never stayed in the property you are referring to, although we have rented accomodation through Homeaway (when it was known as Holiday Rentals) with no problems at all,but that was down to the property owner and not the website.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 19:12
UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Thank you that's very useful, I was wondering if that was the case. Though it seems to be a nice property I am booking for friends so on this occasion I will probably play it safe and go with a more established option.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Not sure what you mean by a 'more established option'. If you mean one of the large tour operators then you are probably more likely to have problems than if you deal with a private property owner. A private owner is renting you his or her own property (often their holiday getaway) and usually take great pride in it's appearance and equipment levels. The larger companies are more impersonal and often don't pay as much attention to the little details that can make the difference.

I've used Homeaway and also Holiday Lettings to rent property in the Algarve six times in the last four years and, while payment and reception arrangements differ from property owner to property owner, I've never had any problems whatsoever.

It's not in the propety owner's interest to make things difficult or awkward as one bad review will simply cause potential renters to look elsewhere.

In fact, the last time we had any kind of problems was when we rented a villa through Cosmos and they tried to charge us for a broken patio chair. The chair was broken when we got there and it was us who reported it but we still had a real struggle to get our breakage deposit back.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 23:42
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

It's good to be careful. There's scamming going on, also on sites as Homeaway, Holidaylettings and Ownersdirect. Unfortunately I recently witnessed the drama of someone losing their holiday money through a scam on Ownersdirect.

For tips to avoid vacation rental scams, here's a link to one of many articles:

aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-05-2013/avoi…

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

I know of someone booking a villa with owners direct. Turned out address was a carpark, villa never existed!

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

Thank you for the responses.

El-n-Hils, by more established I mean something that has reviews confirming it exists. I agree that a private owner is often a better option than a large operator, particularly in package deal type accommodation. However, as both FTHW & Mosley97 point out, there is a chance for scams on these type of websites, which is higher with a property that has no reviews or doesn't appear on any other sites. As homeaway don't provide any guarantees I don't want to book this for my friends and risk leaving them stranded - for myself, I'd probably take the chance!

FTHW, I'll check out the link.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

we used home and away in may for villa and had no problems we have booked again but a differnt villa for september hope every thing goes smoothly lol if your worried about villa not being there try and loate it on google maps i have with the 2 i booked i know it doesnt mean alot really but atleast you know the villa exists

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

I've used James villas several times and have found them to be not only excellent but cheaper. Owners direct wanted £2,100 for villa rental only. Paid £2,200 for two weeks (same villa and dates) villa rental, flights with Thomas cook inc 20kg luggage each and two weeks car hire with Avis. Have already booked for next year as its cheaper than this year! To me it's about security and peace of mind, should you have any problems there is always a rep on hand, although we've never had problems. As you are making the booking on behalf of other people, I fully understand your concerns.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

We have booked for next summer in Gale with HomeAway ,we made sure we booked with an owner who uses "HomeAway Payments" When you use HomeAway Payments, your payment is automatically covered against internet fraud for up to £10,000.

You’ll be paying securely online with Visa, Mastercard, Electron or Carte Bleu credit cards. Credit cards also offer additional charge-back protection should there be any issues with your booking.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used homeaway or stayed in this house?

El-n.Hills

You could look at the opposite way to 'owner taking more care of property' used owners direct and ended up paying the owner for a broken sunbed which was damaged when we arrived. James villas didn't ask for any breakage deposit. Villas have to be of a certain standard, have necessary cooking utensils for number of people staying, and their villas have to comply with health and safety issues like fencing, toughened glass inside, correct pool maintenance. Directly with the owner we've had dirty pool, phoning owner five times as for the first week we couldn't use the pool and no refund given. With James villas microwave broke and new one delivered two hours later. Tv wouldn't work, owner waiting for it to be repaired. We've also had fridge full of owners stuff half of which was out of date. Freezer full of owners food who was annoyed I'd binned everything. Cupboards full of food, again had to bin it all. Who on earth would eat anything that wasn't their own. We've had owners spending up to an hour checking for damage. Nothing would tempt me to book directly with any owner, particularly when they are dearer!

Edited: 30 August 2013, 13:12
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira