We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

Hello everyone we are thinking of booking to visit Albufeira next July, with family, 3 generations ....my son is 16 with autism so he doesnt like anywhere too busy.....and myself and hub have walking difficulties. Can anyone give me advice on the best area to stay in please? as we really fancy the place but are just not 100 per cent as yet, thanks in advance.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

As your son doesn't like anywhere too busy and you have walking difficulties then I must respectfully suggest that you avoid Albufeira, or at least the main part of town.

Albufeira is the biggest resort in the Algarve. In July and August the resident population of 25,000 is swollen to over 100,000 on any given day by visitors from all over. There are some quieter areas three or four miles from the town, but out there may not be to your liking.

Also Albufeira is very hilly. I live half a mile from the beach and I am 310 feet above sea level. Everywhere is up. A lot of the streets are cobblestones. The town centre is closed to cars so driving into town is not much of an option. Taxis are fairly cheap but can be hard to get hold of on summer evenings.

Near Albufeira there is the area of Galé and Salgados, about 2 or 3 miles west, which is much quieter , Galé beach is huge and has flat access. In summer there are plenty of local places to go to, so that you don't have to keep trekking into town and dealing with the hordes.

Similarly to the east of Albufeira itself there is Açoteais and Falesia, 3 or 4 miles and a bit nearer Olhos D'Agua about 2 miles out of town. But the beach at Olhos DºAgua is at the bottom of a very steep hill.

I hope that helps your thinking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

Agree with cubsur. If you want somewhere quieter, which is also suitable for people with mobility problems you may want to look at the Eastern Algarve. Many places there have easy access to the beaches, and the area is much flatter and more relaxed when compared to Albufeira.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

If you want to be on walking distance to the beach look at Monte Gordo, Altura, Manta Rota, etc (Castro Marim and Vila Real Stº Antonio municipalities).Also Quarteira, close to Vilamoura, can be an option. (Loulé municipality). Look at the website visitalgarve.pt/visitalgarve/…

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies its helped a lot we will look else where I didnt realise you couldnt drive around the town to be honest. we aren't in scooters but used walking sticks so the hills will be a problem, thanks again.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

Albufeira it is lovely been gong there for years. Try and stay as near to the beach and you will not need to do much walking. Everything is local and quite a lot of people speak English. The weather is great too. We are going in July and mostly go that time of year as not too packed. Gets more packed in Aug and september.

6. Re: Portugal Newbies, advice needed please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 06:17