We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

Hi there

we are going to Algarve middle June with my husband, 2-year old toddler and a 7-month old baby. We are looking for a nice place to stay near Albufeira, not in the centre (as it's probably very crowded) but close enough to be able to get a walk or a dinner in the city. Ideal would be to have a nice beach (not very busy) within walking distance.

I've been searching every spare minute that I had for the last week but nothing could catch my eye.

Could someone recommend?

All suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pam

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,321 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

A problem might be that places not in the centre could be a mile or more from the beach and Albufeira is very hilly.

I live in Páteo, which is about a 15 minute walk from the centre and beach. It's up hill all the way back but there are buses every half hour day day.

Take a look perhaps at Páteo Village Apartments. There are local shops, bars, cafés and a couple of restaurants within 5 minutes walk, so you don't have to go into town of an evening. it's a fairly quiet mainly residential area but has some tourist apartments.

The beaches won't be wildly busy in June. To find a really quiet beach would probably mean staying way out of town.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 20:19
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

Are you dead set on Albufeira? There are a number of other places that might be suitable for young children, like Alvor, Lagos or Tavira.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 22:12
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

Hi

thank you for the replies. I am not set on Albufeira but it's been recommended by a friend and I really liked the old town and it's close to the airport. What we are looking for are nice beaches, relaxing atmosphere and at the same time close to a city where we can have different places to visit.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

You could look at vilapetra.com. It is child friendly with a separate children's pool & a small play area. The grounds are very big with lots of grass for active children to run around on.They supply proper solid cots. It is a haul to the beach but Vilapetra run a courtesy bus there and back. It,s towards the top end of the strip & so is quiet; 5 euro taxi to the old town. You can hire pool towels at 2euros, which cuts down on the luggage.

GALE
Level Contributor
140 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

I would suggest Gale or Sao Rafael

My wife and I have brought up our 6 grand children from the ages of 3 month until the oldest is now 19.

GALE 4 kms from town centre

Has 4 beaches all with on site restaurants baby changing toilets etc There are some small supermarkets and also a up market supermarket APPOLONIA selling all UK brands. In the evenings there are restaurants / bars which are 100% child friendly so you could sit and have a drink with out problems. There is a local bus service into the old town during the day and a taxi rank for evenings if needed The area is mainly villas but there are a few apartments for example Gale Mar but you could find more on line

Sao Rafael 2-3 kms from town center

This has a lovely safe beach and has more apartments, but has less bars and restaurants. again you can get the same bus or taxi into old town

June is in my opinion the best time to go with babies you can almost guarantee the sun without being too hot

There ara also hotels at both areas and there are one or two hotels that may suit in the old town itself but as cubsur says the old town can be hilly with two trolleys to push

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

thank you all

I'll check them out.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

I`d recommend you stay by the main road Descobrimentos in Albufeira ... from the Worms roundabout all the way up to Brisa Sol. That gives you lots of space for walking ... buses witll be close by ... and plenty of choice of infrastructure. Cubsur made a good call with Pateo Village, too. All beaches are easily reached on a short bus ride (and back) ... or less than 30 mins walk.

Check hotels and restaurants by area at www.albufeiraguide.yolasite.com/ and there will be plenty of reviews for them here on TA.

Ploiesti, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

hi all,

i am researching Albufeira to go with my family in June (2 adults and 2 children/ 6yrs and 6 months old). What is your opinion about renting an apartment close to the marina? I have found very nice private apartments for rental and we would prefer that option over the hotel due to the fact that i am used to cook for my children. would the location allow us to reach the beach very easy and also to walk to the restaurants/shops?

thanks a lot

Alina

Kildare
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

The marina is out of town, a good twenty minute walk to the Old Town and Beach, A few restaurants and gift type shops there but the closest Supermarket would be in Cerro Grande again a good 10/15 min walk away. The larger supermarket would definitely be a drive/taxi ride away. I would not really recommend it, too far away from everything, shops, banks, restaurants, beach, etc. Have a look for private rentals in the Old Town itself, the forum could help you make up your mind if you had a shortlist.

Ploiesti, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convenient and quiet place to stay with young children

thank you so much for the quick reply. I will look closer to the old town!

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira