We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping/Markets

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
Level Contributor
410 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping/Markets

I'm going to be in Albufeira from 28/01 until 04/02 and wondered if there are any markets on at this time of year. I'm not looking for anything in particular, I just enjoy browsing and chatting to people.

I'm staying in Santa Eulalia Hotel & Spa and would be glad of any tips about things to do or see. Is there anything going on in this area at this time of year?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping/Markets

If you like, have a look under 'top questions' (to the right) for shopping and markets.

The tourist information www.visitalgarve.pt has a nice website with a wealth of information.

Under 'downloads' you can find a monthly updated program which covers the entire Algarve.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping/Markets

The Albufeira 'gypsy' market is an ideal place to buy fake designer goods, DVDs, shoes, bags etc. It's right next to the main bus station in town, about 2 miles from where you will be, so it's easy to get to by bus or taxi. It is mornings only.

As for 'anything going on' the answer is not a lot. it is winter. In fact it is tipping down with rain as I write. Plenty of people live here, so there are always restaurants, cafés and bars to go to. The big tourist bars, or most of them, will not be open but those used by locals will be.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping/Markets

The Albufeira (Bus station) market will normally be 1000 - 1400 on Tuesday 4th Feb ... so depends on what time you have to leave.

belfast
Level Contributor
410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping/Markets

Thanks for all your replies. I actually prefer to go to the bars and restaurants used by the locals rather than the very touristy places as I always think there is more atmosphere. If the weather is bad I have a kindle full of books and it's going to be warmer than it is at home so I'll be happy enough.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping/Markets

Angie ... PORTIMAO (Monday 3rd Feb) would probably be your best bet ... as it is much easier to take the train or bus Segunda a Sexta. Cubsur could tell you where the stops are ... and the timetables.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping/Markets

There is the option of the Quarteira market on Wednesday morning 29th. Some of the buses from Albufeira to Faro stop right outside, but that might not be convenient depending on where you are staying.

I have never been to the Portimão market, but from what I see passing by it looks a bit more authentic than the tourist traps here and in Quarteira. Certainly there is a large indoor market hall.

More or less the same stalls you see at Quarteira on Wednesdays are also at Loulé on Saturday mornings. The location there is a few minutes walk from the centre of town. Loulé also has a splendidly restored indoor market hall in the town centre.

It takes 40 minutes to get there on the bus from Albufeira but they are extremely infrequent on Saturdays.

www.algarvebus.info/016.htm

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping/Markets

Had thought QUARTEIRA might be out because you have just arrived and will be finding your bearings ... but, again, if you want to go .... I think Cubsur will confirm you can get the EVA bus on the other side of the road directly opposite your hotel .. and maybe the times.

belfast
Level Contributor
410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping/Markets

Sounds as though we have quite a few options which is great. Thanks for all your help, really looking forward to a week away.

9. Re: Shopping/Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira