We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting mobile wifi hotspot

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
renting mobile wifi hotspot

Has anyone done this,yellowfish transfers rent them.not very tech minded,is it just plug in and surf,any advice?

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

They have them in their cars - they have a sim card and get a mobile/data signal which it then beams by wifi. all depends on cost and download limit which is strict on mobile devices over here. Maybe better to search out free wifi which is widely available.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Exactly that. All you need to do is plug it in, set up a wifi connection with it and off you go. They do have a limited battery life, so best plug into the mains whenever you can.

Renting them is a good idea and welcome, if indeed that is what they do.

A 3G portable hot spot costs around €40 to buy, a 3G pen about €30 plus the SIM which would typically be 15 Euros including 1Gigabyte of data.

Most bars used by tourists have wifi. Not free, as you are supposed to actually buy something!

Edited: 03 April 2014, 11:07
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Bear in mind, that 3G/4G works on the basis of "line of sight"- (i.e. a direct line between the hotspot and the antenna)!

So if you are staying in an area with a poor 3g wifi signal, e.g. a valley, an old property with thick walls,in a builidng in an area in a signal shadow like Meia Praia. you may find that the signal is not that good, very poor or non-existent.

If you use them in vehicles you may lose the signal when you drop into a dead signal area.

This happens, for example, on RENEX or REDE EXPRESSOS buses going up from the Algarve to Lisbon as on crosses the escarpment beyond Messines.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

main purpose is to keep the kids happy around the hotel,we will be staying at the Cerro Mar Garden,Is this a good signal area

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

I have a VODAFONE dongle, which costs 30 euro downstairs in Modelo shopping centre ... about one month`s surfing if you avoid video and music downloads ... valid 3 months ... it then tops up at 1 euro per hour unlimited download ... and you can keep it as long as you top up within every 3 month period, or sell it on. Signal is always good, except a little slower on Monday mornings.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 20:30
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,922 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Re Pyrman's post: don't forget to log off when finished using otherwise you will still be using your data up.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Cerro Mar ought to be OK as it is one of the highest points in Albufeira and there is a thumping great cellphone transmitter about 100 yards away.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Yup, that should do it and you will also leave with a green aura as well! ;)))

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

This is an interesting thread for me - we're arriving at Alfagar II just outside Albufeira on Sunday. I did book a yellowfish transfer from Faro, and noticed the ad for the dongle appearing. We have a kid with us who wants to skype his mates while they're on their hols!

I'd like to check that they have coverage before hire one though. They list their location as Santa Eulália - Balaia Apartado 866 8200-912 Albufeira - does anyone have a link to a 3G coverage map for this area? Or has anyone used portable wifi from that location?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: renting mobile wifi hotspot

Dont know a lot about these things,could anyone confirm to me buy looking on their website it is €2.50 a day that includes everything and I don't have to buy a sim card.Have sent them an email but still waiting,thanks

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira