We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Prescription charges in ireland are expensive. Can Blood pressure and cholesterol medicine be bought over the counter in Albuferia? If yes what & where would the cheapest chemist be directions to same appreciated.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

You could send an email and ask: http://farmaciaalvesdesousa.pt/en

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Possibly not. SInce I have lived here I have discovered that some things you can get in UK without prescription require one here, and vice-versa. I can imagine Ireland won't be much different.

It's best to go to a good pharmacy and ask first. All those I have used have at least one person who speaks excellent English and can help. Where will you be staying? Albufeira is a very big place and there are pharmacies everywhere. Or email as above!! We were writing at the same time.

Then if you need a prescription you have the issue of finding and paying for a private doctor to write one. I really don't know if you can just walk in with an Irish prescription. Prices here are not that cheap either.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 08:13
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
815 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

I'm on maintenance medicine for hypertension, and for cholesterol -- have been for many years. In my experience, I'm able to get medicines for hypertension across the counter here in Portugal without need for prescription but never for cholesterol (statins). I've always had to go to my cardiologist to get a prescription for that. The prices of medicines are strictly regulated here, so there are no "cheaper" places to get them from.

notts
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Arrived last Monday with absess starting. ...straight to chemist in olhas de agua to be informed must see doctor for a prescription..went to the surgery and told to make appointment and pay 55euro to see doctor for consultation which I declined..went to the old town next day and bought amoxacylin for 5 euro over the counter problem solved...

notts
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Forgot to mention I used the pharmacy just down from the sol e mar hotel on the left

notts
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

Forgot to mention I used the pharmacy just down from the sol e mar hotel on the left

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

thanks

8. Re: Do you need prescriptions to get medicines from chemists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:17