We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albufeira or Quarteria

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Albufeira or Quarteria

Dear friends,

from July TAP will start to fly from Belgrade and just for the curiosity I'v checked the prices and realized that the flight offer is amazing. Now I'm thinking to change my summer destination (Greece) and go with my wife and (maybe) our 18 year old doughter to some place surround Faro (airport destination). Not knowing too much about destination and a really short time to decide (my holliday will be realized between 15-25 July) where to stay, I need advice from you.

Just on a short overview I found that Quarteria and Albuferia are reccomended as a places with a nice beaches so I need to chose one of them. I prefer sandy beach. Does those beaches are public or you must rent the sun-bed?

Which of those 2 places are more for the families? Too noisy or too quite places will be wrong decision.

Planning my budget will you adduce some average prices like a Coke, Beer, Pizza...

Very important for me is that my return flight will be at 6:00 AM, so how I can reach the Faro airport at that time. Thinking... TAXI must be expensive as it is arround 50 km. For sure the same qty is on my coming, what are the best way to reach my sunner destination from the airport.

We are planning to visit Sevilla on 1 day trip, any advice?

And the last, if you have any other suggestion about the destination you will be wormly welcome. We w'd like to spend our time and money in exploring differ places rather to stay in hotel.

Thank you in advice!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

Hello makarije3,

I can only give you my experience of Albufeira...

Fisherman's beach is good for kids long and clean. I like it.

Sunbeds & Parasols on Fisherman's Beach are for hire only....2 sunbeds and the parasol for the day is 15 euros.

A can of coke in Cafe's and Restaurants is around 2 euros each. The local lager is mainly Sagres or Super Bock and is around 5 % in strength. I prefer Sagres but from the bottle. during the day you'll pay around 1.50 euros for a large beer (0.4 of a litre) and at night you'll pay anything from 2 euros upwards for the same size beer depending on the location. Of course you can buy these cheaper at the supermarkets in Albufeira, namely Continente or Pingo Doce.

As for a transfer from Faro to Albufeira and return, I would recommend yellowfishtransfers.com They are punctual, polite, professional and in fact do everything they say they will do. The first time we used yellowfish the cost for a return transfer was 60 euros and the price drop everytime you use them.

There are plenty of day trip available through the 'ticket shops' around Albufeira but I'm sure one of the destination experts can advise you further on this.

Happy holiday wherever you choose...

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

Quarteira is a working town which accommodates well for tourism and it is quite a popular destination for Portuguese holiday makers.

Albufeira caters very much for British tourists.

Quarteira is rather flat (Albufeira is hilly) and has a 2 km long promenade along the sea side. The beach has fine sand and is more or less equally divided in parts which are commissioned and parts which are free to use. 2 loungers with an umbrella cost Euro 12,-- per day.

At the other side of the promenade you find shops, bars, restaurants and terraces. At night in July Quarteira will be quite alive. Families tend to go out to the promenade and there usually is various live music. It's not quiet but it's also not too noisy, just a very friendly atmosphere. Average prices depends a little where you will have your drinks. If it's on the beach it may be somewhat more expensive. A small coffee usually costs 0.65, a white coffee around 1.10, a coke already comes for 1.50 and a beer as well. You can have a dish of the day at lunch time for 6 or 7 euro or if you eat out at night it may cost 10-15,-- euro.

A transfer from Faro airport will take approx. 20 min. and there are many transfer companies which you could choose from. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189111-s304/Algarve:…

If you arrive during the day you could take the bus into Faro and switch to a bus to Quarteira or Albufeira.

Day trips to Seville are offered by several excursion companies, here's one: www.algarve-tours-excursions.com/index.php… Along the boulevard in Quarteira you will find several ticket shops. It's also there where you find bikes, if you'd like to rent them.

For more info:

www.albufeirauncovered.com

www.quarteirauncovered.com

The tripadvisor Albufeira and Quarteira forum has more info. You could look into and in the green header of their pages you could find a tab "vacation rentals", which may be of use for your accommodation bookings.

You could also have a look at the various Youtube videos to get a feeling for the places.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 20:12
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

excellent post FTHW. We love Quarteira, as you say the promenade is lovely and flat, nice sandy beach and lots of lovely restaurants & bars. Bonus is you can also walk through to Vilamoura via the beach road, so best of both worlds.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

makarije3

You must move quickly for accommodation in July as almost everywhere will already be sold.

Do check location carefully. Albufeira is a big place and some accommodations are several km from the beach.

Beaches are free access, renting sunbeds is optional.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

Thank you very much to all of you. Very helpful informations I got, finally I choose to rent an apartment in Quarteira near the beach and for the transfer yellowfish company mentioned in your post.

I'm so happy going to Portugal after a many, many years.

Just worry about one thing that I didn't take attention, talking today with my friends about the trip almost all tried to convince me that the sea water is so cold, and swimming into the sea will be unpleasure experience.

Is it really true? Really worry about.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

Glad it helped you make a choice.

The seawater temperatures will be around 21C. Many people are already swimming in the sea at the moment.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

Special thanks to you FTHW, you are just a perfect!

8. Re: Albufeira or Quarteria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17