We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preloaded money card and spending money

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Preloaded money card and spending money

Hi

Can anyone tell me if these preloaded money cards are widely accepted and easy to use when in Albuferia? I am traveling to the old town in October half term with my husband and one year old can you advise on how much money we will need. We will be self catering so eating out each day, or visiting a supermarket to buy supplies for breakfast etc.

Really not sure how much to bring as I haven been self catering for a long time.

Leeds & Albufeira
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

We use a Caxton FX card and draw cash. The amount you can draw at any one time is limited to 200 Euros so you're never carrying a load of cash. Not sure how many restaurants etc accept them, but I'm sure someone with that experience will be along. We've always just drawn the cash and used that.

Eating out can be very cheap - depends where and what you eat. There are loads of places that do tourist menus for 10/12 euros each, some considerably cheaper!

The supermarkets are really good with excellent fish counters. If you but British goods you'll pay much more for them than in the UK. I'd always suggest buying local fresh food wherever possible - it's generally cheap and very good!

If you let people know where you are staying we can help direct you to the bigger supermarkets where there is more choice and, generally, lower prices.

Wine and beer in the supermarkets is cheap and good!

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

There have been a few incidents of unusual bill items when paying by card .... don`t do it. Multibanco ATM`s are quite plentiful .. see list above right ... I tend to use the one`s in Modelo Shopping at the bank for security .. and they all charge a small fee. Check whether your bank or card issuer also charges a fee ... some do some don`t.

Also Sterling is riding a bit higher at the moment ... and may not be in that position approaching the Scottish Vote in September ... think about buying euro`s now. Comparison sites usually show rates and charges. For cash, you`ll get 1.234 at both Tesco and Post Office .. that`s 10% higher than last summer.

100 euros a day is plenty ...

Edited: 22 July 2014, 10:20
west midlands
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

I've used one in restaurants, shops etc all over albuferia, nyc, Madrid and never once had a problem, any chip and pin machine check the amount first and you can never be screwed, or as others have said draw the money out, don't work at most machines, I had a Thomas cook one

UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

We're staying at the cerro mar gardens which is quiet close to the old town I believe .

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

Yes ... Cerro Mar is on top of the Cerro Malpique, directly behind the Old Town .. nearest supermarkets (a bit further up) are ALDI and LIDL. One Blue (azul) giro goes down past every hour ... to Town Hall (other big Supermarkets, Continente and Pingo Doce, are around 300 yards right of there) ... Old Town centre and escalators ... then out to Oura and around the East End before coming back to the main shops. One Green (verde) per hour goes back up opposite direction (from oura, escalators and town hall) ... can`t remember which ones though. ATM`s are listed top right of this page ... one in the corner of the main square. The alternate half-hourly blue and green stop at the little bar half-way down, directly to/from the stop at ALDI.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 15:59
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

I have also used the Caxton fx euro card in several countries for withdrawing cash from ATMs or paying hotel / restaurant /shop bills.

There are no charges for withdrawing euros and you get a good exchange rate when loading the card.

Wouldn`t travel to euro countries without it,

Graham

7. Re: Preloaded money card and spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira