We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals go to eat?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the locals go to eat?

We're staying in Albufiera November 8 through the 14th and understand that many restaurants may be closed. Can anyone recommend some good seafood restaurants that are popular with the locals ? We're staying at the Balaia Golf Resort and will have a kitchen, but will be eating out most nights. I've read that Old Town would be the place to go.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

Yes but the old town is a little over 2 miles away. There are places closer that are open all year but as that is way across town from me I shall defer to others closer by for suggestions.

In the old town I can recommend O Veleiro and O Catrao, Rua 5 Outubro. Café O Jorge, above the Pingo Doce supermarket in the Avenida dos Descobrimentos, is a noted local haunt popular with locals and visitors alike. Many will say it does best piri-piri chicken in town. That's maybe a mile and half from where you will be.

25,000 people live in Albufeira so there will always be restaurants and bars open for the residents.

2. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 13:05
Edited: 01 August 2014, 13:05
New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

We will have a car so a couple miles away from Balaia isn't an issue. I'll take a look at those you mentioned. Usually the locals know the best places.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

Plenty of places in the old town centre, but be aware that you have to park around the edges and walk the last 250 - 300 yards. Average parking charge is 1 Euro per hour in proper car parks, or you can take your chance on patches of waste ground and some other street locations where it's free.

There are a couple of fairly good seafood places right down by the beach or also near Praca Miguel Bombarda up above the tunnel but I don't know for sure if they would all be open.

It's a small area, so no great distance to cover and there are always bars you can call into where for the price of a beer advice will be forthcoming.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189112-…

O Poente is where the locals eat. Try the afternoon dining experience eating with the local workers. Packed out because it's cheap as chips, good food and plenty of it.

A few other local restaurants nearby also.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

We're not adverse to walking. In fact, we plan on doing plenty of it while visiting the Algarve. You're first response gave me some specific restaurant names, which is what I was looking for. So thank you for those suggestions. If we were cooking in, where would we find the best seafood markets in November?

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

To be honest, the large supermarkets have an excellent selection of fresh fish / seafood.

Ping Doce at the 'Watches' roundabout, Continete at the Modelo Complex (next to Brisa Sol and over the road from Pingo Doce) will suit your needs.

Continente at Algarve Shopping is larger, but the other two will do the job and save a journey.

If you want a very good market, try the indoor market at Loule (as you will have a car). Great fish, meat, fruit and veg as well as other stuff. Well worth a visit.

There is a market in Albufeira (up past the Fire Station area), but Loule is much better and Loule is worth a visit anyway.

There is also a small municipal market besides the Bull Ring in Albufeira. Only small, but the cafe there is excellent. A real sun trap and honest local prices.

Manchester
Level Contributor
68 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

As previously mentioned. I can definitely recommend O Veleiro and O Jorge. If you can drive to either of them, you'll find then well worth a visit

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

I love O'Jorge (closed Mondays) , but last couple of times we have been their the Chicken Piri Piri has not been up to its usual standard, why I don't know, baffled really. The Black Pork is excellent though. If you want a good Piri Piri try O Manel Dos Frangos, situated at the top of The strip just before Montechoro Hotel & taxi rank , open during the winter. Another local Portuguese restaurant open all winter but closed Sundays close to O Manel Dos Frangos is Os Compadres, situated just before O Manels on the small square down the side of the 60's bar, they do a great tourist menu for €8 each , bread/butter, soup, main meal choice of about 9 meals, meat/chicken/ Fish/Prawns/ Ommelette , Choice of Desserts, coffee, & half a bottle of wine/ small beer or soft drink with your meal, Excellent value. I will say we have had on a couple of occasions bad service here and I have said this on a review.. Also look up Ill Cappuchino, its near the Library at the worms roundabout, they also do a tourist menu. Also reviewed this place as on two occasions was not happy with our meal but majority of reviews differ from mine,

Edited: 01 August 2014, 23:53
New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do the locals go to eat?

Thank you everyone. Lots of suggestions to follow up on. Will reservations be necessary in November ?