We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luna Clube Oceano

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Luna Clube Oceano

Hi All

I'm heading to albufeira for the first time in a couple of weeks and staying at the Luna Clube Oceano. I have a couple of questions for anyone who knows the area?

Are there any supermarkets/stores near by? We'll eat out the majority of the time but will want some bits for breakfast, soft drinks, water and beer/spirits.

We'll be spending a lot of time on the beach which I understand is a short walk away, what are the arrangements for sun beds and umbrellas? Are there any 'hotel only' areas on the beach?

What's the best way to get to the old town from our apartment complex?

I like picking up home ware when I'm on holiday, does anyone have any recommendations and what's the best touristy nick backs to pick up?

Any good local places to eat drink?

Thanks in advance 😄

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

"Are there any supermarkets/stores near by?"

There is a tiny one in the same street, otherwise it's a 5 or 6 minutes walk to the SPAR supermarket in Rua Dunfermline. You go up the road and cross at the end at the roundabout with the palm trees on it and go past the big Forte do Vale hotel, keeping it to your right. There is a much larger Pingo Doce supermarket if you keep going another 3 or 4 minutes to the next roundabout called the Worms roundabout, just past the Oura, Eira Sol and Tropical Sol hotels. All supermarkets her are open until at least 730pm Sundays included, most until 830.

"Are there any 'hotel only' areas on the beach?"

No, but you can only put up your own beds and umbrellas in areas not set aside for the paid facilities which are obvious. Expect to pay 10 - 15 Euros per day for two sunbeds and umbrellas.

"What's the best way to get to the old town from our apartment complex?"

If you don't mind walking, go out of Club Oceano up to the main road, turn left and it's about a 10 minute walk. That brings you out at the top of the escalators which take you down into the old town and bring you back up. There is a little bit of a hill in both directions.

It's not worth waiting for the bus as it's only two stops. Likewise you would wait longer for a taxi than it would be to walk.A taxi would be 4 or 5 Euros.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'home ware'. What kind of things do you plan to buy here that you cannot buy in UK. As for other things, cotton and leather goods are good value but a lot is of course made in China. Check the labels.

"Any good local places to eat drink"

There are a couple of small places nearby with which I am not famililar. In the old town there are dozens of restaurants, bars and cafés of every possible type. Not knowing your likes and dislikes, it's not sensible to recommend.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 07:45
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

There are a couple of snack bars and one bar with football, etc, right by Oceano. On the way down to beach at Monica Isabel ( which you can walk into the Old Town`s Fisherman`s and Peneco beaches) ... the PANACEE restaurant gets good ratings. There is something on the beach, but I`ve not used it.

As Cubsur says, top of the road for giro bus stop ... you`ll probably walk in, but might prefer to avoid the big hill back. The Verde (green) is opposite side going in, then Town centre, Aldi/Lidl and terminal ... a good route for shopping, as you can get the same Azul (blue) outside Aldi on the return ( or taxi at Lidl) ... the same one goes to Old Town (Alves Correia) then escalators, Inatel and your stop at Forte.

You can also get off the gree at Town Hall, then it is only a 5 min walk round to Continente or Pingo Doce,

but also easy to walk, as Cubsur says, to the one up Rua Dunfermline from Tres Palmeiras rdbt, or go through the park opposite Forte do Vale and up the wee back road to Modelo Continente, 10 mins.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

That's great, thanks for your advice.

Re home wares, I like to bring something back from my travels that I won't find over here like a teapot in the shape of an elephant that I brought from Sri Lanka or a small bowl to keep my jewellery in from Dubai.

And re food, we like to eat what the locals eat so I'm up for any suggestions of local food, walking anywhere or getting a taxi insult an issue.

Thanks again

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

There are many local products, but an awful lot is chinese ... same at the market if you manage to get there.

I`m sure you will find something. Foodwise ... Fish is BIG here ... you get the whiff as soon as you enter a supermarket ... also Steak and Chicken ... lots of varied salads ... quite a few places stick to national cuisine ... Chinese, Indian, Thai, Portuguese ... but most have `tweaked` towards British ... with chips.

I can recommend `Douradhinos de Bacalhau` ... cod fish fingers.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 18:06
west midlands
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

If you have a good look round the old town I'm sure you will find some authentic gifts, lots of shops to choose from, try the streets off the main sq as this is mainly restaurants, going up towards the other old town taxi rank has a lot, one of the others will name the street as I have a memory of a goldfish

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

Av. Liberdade is the main street, also has a bus terminal and ticket shop.

7. Re: Luna Clube Oceano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:15