We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Albuferia

Which Albufeira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Albuferia

Hi

I am off to Albufeira in just over a week we are staying in a villa and have hired a hire car,

Whilst parking at the VIlla is not a problem, how easy is it to park in the town?

Also, wanting to do a bit of visiting of the local areas and places of beauty where would you recommend?

Must highlight that walking is a bit difficult for all in the party so we're hoping for places we can drive and park too.

Thanks

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

Parking in the Old Town is not that easy, though there is a pay car park. You can sometimes get a space on the hill coming into the Old Town.

There is another pay car park besides the escalators and you can also park free further up (if you can find a space).

This map (interactive) may help.

http://albufeira.com/map/city/

Click on 'Fishermen's Square Escalators'.

Loule is worth a look and you can park right in the centre for a small charge.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

If you spot the new car park 6 at the top end of the Avenida Liberdade, it's seemingly fairly quiet even in the evenings and only €1 an hour. You can park free on a side street if you go up the hill about 150 yards in either direction.

This map I did for a website might also help

www.algarvebus.info/images/abfcentre.gif

Albufeira is VERY hilly. Everywhere outside that grey line except Avenida Liberdade is steeply uphill from town. The car park right down in town is always full as local business and workers get priority.. Probably the best one is that at the top of the escalators as that is minimal walking from town and what there is is flat.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 16:07
Leeds & Albufeira
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

Alte is worth a look - especially if walking is difficult. It's a town that has a water source and you can drive almost up to the source. There are various little stops on the way up the stream and a restaurant/cafe near the top. Very popular on a Sunday with local people who picnic up there using the BBQ.

I'd also suggest having a look at Ferragudo. You should be able to park in the old town down by the fishing boats and it has a nice little square for lunch.

If you like coastal scenery then travel along the coast road to the west and drive down any road/ track with a brown sign with a beach hut on it. My wife struggles with walking sometimes but enjoys the views. Of all the spectacular sights we particularly like Marinha - so much that it's the photo on my PC. We don't go down to the beach but occasionally walk along the path that runs above the beaches.

Ther's also the lagoon at Salgados where there is a boardwalk alongside the lagoon which is a wildlife reserve - at present anyway, and we've often seen flamingos there. Even with my wife's difficulties we often walk along the beach from the car park to the first lifeguard station, across the boardwalk over the dunes, then back along the boardwalk to the car park. Pleasant walk that has some variety.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far, greatly appreciated, some beautiful places to visit there for sure. Reckon i'll end up with a lot of pictures taken!

Hoping that the weather is better than it is here in the UK atm!

west midlands
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

The weather should be glorious and compared to the uk where I'm back after 3 weeks on the algarve will seem like holidaying on the sun, btw, what is this watery stuff falling from the sky ☔️☔️☔️☔️

6. Re: Newbie to Albuferia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira