We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

Hi, I'm planning to do some work whilst we are holidaying in ADP and wondered what the general wifi signal was like. There is no wifi in the appt we are staying at but was thinking about picking up a dongle locally..any thoughts or advice?

I have read that there is free wifi along the promenade but sadly i cannot do all my work there but been informed that the appt is a 5mins walk. So need to know if I can get a) dongle locally/ not too expensive b) that wifi signal strenght is resonable.

Thanks

Prestige Days
Taxis & Shuttles
BlueXperiences
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

You can buy a 3G dongle for about 25 - 30 Euros from any phone shop. That will normally include 1Gb of data or 1 month, whichever comes first. Then you top up at €10 for 1Gb. Beware that some tariffs charge by the minute, so check that and log off when not using it. A friend of mine lost his 10€ in one night a couple of years ago, while asleep!

It's not wifi but 3G. Coverage around the area is pretty good.

Off the top of my head I cannot recall a phone shop in Armação de Pera. All the companies are represented at the Algarve Shopping Mall near Guia, about 4 miles away. That's where I got mine.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 16:44
Mentioned in this post
Pera
Pera
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

I can add that although I have never used the free council provided wifi in Armacao de Pera, you might be able to get a signal as the aerial is fairly big and the indications are that coverage goes 200 metres at least.

Also many bars have wifi but it isn't free, you are supposed to buy something. So once you have a couple of drinks to justify a table it could end up costing you more than the dongle.

Mentioned in this post
Pera
Pera
Faro District, Portugal
Northwich, England...
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

I've just posted a new topic asking similar-ish questions - didn't spot this as wasn't thinking about wifi, but 3G instead. Seems like there are no SIM card stockists in Armacao then?

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

Yes, looks like the nearest phone store for ADP will be the shopping centre but will also try the vodafone store at Faro airport, been advised that they might be an option and were v helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

Correct - there are no phone shops in Armacao de Pera. The nearest are at Algarve Shopping, a 10 minute bus ride or short taxi ride away. All three companies have shops there, open seven days a week and they are all in the same bit.

Mentioned in this post
Pera
Pera
Faro District, Portugal
6. Re: Wifi signal Amercao de Pera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Armacao de Pera
Recent Conversations