We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carvoeiro or Lagos

Which Carvoeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Carvoeiro or Lagos

Hi, We are looking to go to either Carvoeiro or Lagos for a week at the beginning of September. We want a nice traditional area that still has plenty of bars and restaurants as we won't have a car. We are late 20's so want the bars and restaurants but not a place full of rowdy and tacky clubs! Which area would you suggest? Thanks for your help

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

I can't comment on Lagos but Carvoeiro is somewhere I have been a few times. Depending on where you stay, the centre of the village is full of restaurants and bars enough to keep anyone occupied. I definitely would say it is not rowdy at all.

I really enjoy it being in mid 20's its the perfect combination of enough to do and relaxing.

Brighton
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

Thanks for your reply, I am leaning towards Carvoeiro and your description sounds like exactly what we want!

Thanks very much for your help

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

Another vote for Carvoeiro. Some great restaurants and lively bars but never rowdy. Have being going there every year for seven years

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
434 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

Neither resort is rowdy really, but I prefer Carvoeiro too. It is quiet, very family orientated with lots of good restaurants. Having said that there is a little more life in Lagos and you are very close to a good beach; the beach in Carvoeiro is quite small although for a week I don't think it matters too much. If you don't have a car be aware that the hills around Carvoeiro are quite steep and much of the accommodation is out of the centre. If you enjoy walking the cliffs are wonderful and we usually get a taxi back up the hill after a night out. (about £5 last year.)

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

For a week I doubt you'd be disappointed with Carvoeiro, although I have to agree with comments made in the previous post. Lagos does have more and IMO better beaches, albeit it depends on which part of the town you stay in as to how close they are to your chosen accommodation. There's also a lot more see.

Brighton
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

Thanks for your help everyone, they both sound good but think we are going for Carvoeiro. Never been to Portugal before so really looking forward to it!

Motherwell
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

I know both Carvoeiro and Lagos fairly well and as much as I love Lagos, I think Carvoeiro is a better location as everything is more concentrated around either the square or on restaurant hill. We are just back from a week in Carvoeiro staying within Monte Dourado which is only a minute or two (via the stairs) from restaurant hill and only five mins from the square.

The restaurants and bars around the square a lovely, particularly sitting outside listening to the waves.

Are you hiring a car? If so then Carvoeiro is a good base - you can go West towards Ferragudo, Portimao, Alvor and Lagos (all worth visiting) or East towards Albufeira and Villamoura (the marina in lovely and easy to get to). You also Lagoa, Silves and Porches that you could visit. Or you could just spend a week chilling out in Carvoeiro!!!!

Enjoy!!

Edited: 10 July 2013, 12:58
Brighton
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

We will be hiring a car for a few days so thanks for the recommendations. We love eating out in the local restaurants so this restaurant hill and square sounds good too!

9. Re: Carvoeiro or Lagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:16