We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Never again will I use Goldcar.....despite booking our car online we had to queue initially for one an a half hours (though there were only 4 people in front of us). The 3 people on the desks were constantly being interupted to sort out the problems that people who had just got their car were having. We were informed that we had to pay 89 euro up front for a full tank of petrol, however the staff were unable to tell us the size of the tank or the current cost of the petrol. When we brought the car back a week later we had done 300k and only used one-eigth of the fuel we paid for - no doubt the next customer also had to pay 89 euro for a full tank of petrol!We were then informed that our car would be brought around in a couple of minutes as it was at the petrol station getiing fuel. Eventually over half an hour later we demanded another car as there was no sign of ours and plenty in the lot just sitting there. We were given no info regarding the tolls during the discussion about all the charges we could incur when we signed up, in fact there was a poster indicating that the toll cameras werent working. When we returned the car and asked then about the tolls we were told we should have paid them at the post office. This would have proved very difficult as there was a toll on our return journey to Faro airport and it was in the early hours of a sunday morning. Having used different car hire companies in different countries I have never experienced such poor service and rude indifferent staff.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Once again, I can only say as has been written many times on this forum, don't go cheap on hire cars! Go with one of the reputable companies mentioned on these forums.

Also bear in mind that in Peak Season, one will probably have to wait to be attended to at most car hire company counters at most holiday destinations.

An hour and a half is excessive however.

2. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 21:19
Edited: 15 June 2013, 21:19
Lewes, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Just been conned by GOLDCAR the same as everyone else. Fuel policy a rip off and insurance also a con. staff are useless, learn from all of us. In Faro I have used Europcar who were good and the one I have used three times this year is http://www.economycarhire.com/. Please don't use GOLDCAR as there is not one good comment on tripadvisor about them. Who buys a car and uses all the fuel in three days and how does a fiesta fuel tank hold 92 euros of fuel. I have never been so disappointed in my life with a company and I hire cars once a month so am not stupid.

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

It's not just in Portugal too. I got ripped off by Gold Car in Mallorca last September. I got a £102 charge on my card for a tank of fuel in a fiesta. I was also forced to take out the extra insurance at 40 euro or they wouldn't give me the car. Queued for an hour, so it all appears to be their standard operating procedures wherever you go. This year in potugal I booked with economy car hire with the local supplier being Drive 4 Fun. Hassle free motoring.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

I understand your feelings, however I had booked with Guerin, waited in 45min queue and then refused the car and stormed out after they added loads of charges on. Promptly walked into Goldcar without a reservation and had a car in 10mins.

Looks like car hire here is generally a minefield.

Lewes, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

No economycarhire is great, cheap no added charges, excellant

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

We used economy car hire a couple of years ago and as far as I know, they are agents and you don't know which hire firm you will end up with, we ended up with one of the dodgy ones who refused us the car because we had our own excess insurance and wouldn't take out theirs. I'm still waiting for my £30.00. Deposit back which they keep promising.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Once you have used ECH you can then choose your car rental company next time. I have heard though that you can ring them and request a price from one of the companies they use if you are a first timer. I always use travelrent through ECH. No problems.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

Thanks for the info but ech have still got my deposit which they keep promising to pay but don't

A lot of people seem to prefer luz cars, might try them if we go again.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: goldcar car hire at Faro July 2012

I used an airport car rental company for the first time in September after years of shuttle transfers and renting in resort. After reading good reviews I used AlgarveDriver.com, which is actually an agent for YOR Car. Like many others they operate from a mini bus in car park P4. Their T&Cs state that you return with fuel tank at same level as pick up. Only an impress of the credit card is taken after they have charged the hire fee using a wifi card reader. They charge €8 per day for excess insurance, that's €112 per 14 days. However, they actually advise you (on their website) that taking out your own annual excess cover will last for 12 months and will cost less. It cost me £55 for worldwide cover and will still be active for a trip to the US in November and our next visit to the Algarve in May. I was also asked if I was familiar with the A22 toll system (I was). The rep walked round the car with me marking the scratches and scrapes on the rental agreement. It was a Mitsubishi Colt - very happy as i was expecting a Peugot 107 sized car!

So be careful not to tar all the companies operating from P4 with the same brush, even if they are cheaper than the big boys!