We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Car Rental

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Goldcar Car Rental

Felt totally ripped off by Goldcar Rentals - Not only charge extra for Insurance and collision waiver but also charge each client for a full tank of petrol and tell you to bring back empty. We used the car for 10 days and only managed to use a quarter of a tank yet had been charged for a full tank. Unlike other rental companies who ask you to top up the tank. Would not recommend Goldcar to anyone and will certainly never use them again.

38 replies to this topic
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Wasn't any of this stated in the terms and conditions? Did you hire directly or through an agent?

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Apologies for duplicating. It saves having to repeat myself.

As Goldcar continue to alienate their customers, I can't help noticing that some complaints appear to be a result of people misunderstanding how car rental insurance works.

As with many rental companies Goldcar offer basic Collision Damage Waiver cover, exempting damage to tyres, underside, wheels, etc. An additional premium is required to include these. This is not actually unusual in the industry.

The second area that frequently causes confusion is that of 'excess' insurance. Whether you cover yourself for any/ all damage, an excess will always be payable unless you specifically take out 'damage excess waiver' cover or that 'damage excess waiver' cover is already included in the policy. In Goldcar's case this is not included as standard, which again is not at all unusual.

The final area of confusion is closely related to the above. Even with damage excess waiver cover it is not unusual to be asked to leave a deposit by way of the rental company holding a charge against your credit card for the amount of the excess. In the event of damage, the company are entirely within their rights to use this money to pay for damage, and it is then up to the customer to claim these charges back through the policy.

I hope that, at least in some cases, this clarifies.

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Just an addition to the excellent information from MCG.

It is often better to take the hit for the excess on a credit card (which is sometimes just blocked) and take out an annual policy for hire car rental over the internet in the UK that can cost less then £40, less that 2 weeks (in some cases 1 weeks) FCDW on the same at source when arriving. Most reviews of the companies offering this service have been very good.

These often cover for glass, tyre an undercarriage damage as well - which is not normally covered by the company or agent's FCDW - but PLEASE read the policy!

If you book through an agent such as Economy car hire or Economy car rental (there are a plethora of others) look at the terms and conditions of the company that the hire is booked with - they will often change with no penalty - but it may cost a little more with a company that does full to full or similar but cost less in the long run.

I'm afraid all the time we accept these patently unfair terms and conditions the hire companies will keep applying them! It's time WE took control and did not use these companies that make undue profits from travelers.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Sorry to open an old post, but I found them very helpful and thought it might help a lot of people

toulose
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Maybe one year late they have improved?

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

According to the forums they have not improved. When I said they were helpful I meant More.cheese/Gromit who answers questions and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful regarding car rental. GOLDCAR r still ripping people off.

Kilmacolm, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Goldcar Rental at Faro still appalling.Returned car as lock would not work properly and was charged 258 euros plus VAT as staff member claimed lock had been tampered with. Lock not covered by terms of damage excess waiver. There was no evidence of damage to the car around the lock area and it had been parked overnight next to our accomodation which had security gates at entrance. 4 weeks on still awaiting response from Goldcar after filling in official complaint on departure day 12th May2013.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Goldcar Car rental are without a doubt the worst car rental service proivider I have ever expericed and I have travelled a lot in my time. We rental a car at Milan airport and having got a flat tyre on the second day I fixed with the spare wheel and called to ask what we need to do next. They said take to any garage and to tell them to invoice Goldcar direct however having searched for 3 days we could not find a garage willing to fix the car. We eventually got back to themand said to them to speak to the garage owner to convince them that the invocie would be paid however I ended up having to pay for it after being told that the invoice would be paid with 3 days of leaving the car back as it was covered in my insurance. Obviously I left car back and left in invoice and again this was reassured that it would take 3 days to pay. Over 2 months later and stillmy 130Euros has still not been paid and I cannot get a response from anyone at the company. I will never be using them again and would not recommend to anyone trying to rent a car.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

Would advise anyone to give Goldcar a wide berth. They took 2 hours to process 15-20 people, the reason for which was they were trying through aggressive intimidation to force each of us to take their excess insurance (90 euros on a 60 euro rental). Then they charged 95 euros for a tank of fuel (for an Opel astra). We read and understood their terms and conditions on fuel, but nowhere does it state the charge is twice the forecourt rate. Rubbish service, rubbish value for money, rude and nasty. A horrible experience to start our holiday and a queue full of people with the same experience.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar Car Rental

this is update from previous report,have now recieved my bill from goldcar at faro,they charged me £184 for ins + fuel and thats on top of auto-europe charge of £146 for origanal booking makes total for fiesta for week to £330 could have gone to avis for a cheaper rental BEWARE OF GOLDCAR !!!

Edited: 18 October 2013, 12:31
Reply to: Goldcar Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted