We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
H S
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

Sorry, another post about car hire from Faro airport!

Having read lots of posts on here about car hire I decided on Luzcars, but they have no vehicles left for our July dates in the mid range size we're looking for.

I have emailed Drive4Fun, Marinarent and Zitauto, but no response so far, which doesn't bode well.

The big names want astronomical prices for those dates, and after the horror stories on here I don't fancy the brokers and cheaper operators, so does anyone have any other really reliable recommendations please? We will be arriving very late, around 11pm if the flight is on time - last time it was about 1am due to delays - so we need someone who is prepared to be there to meet the plane whatever time it gets in.

Thanks for your help.

H S
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

I've just been looking at Autorent as a result of a previous post by barlaventoexpert checking out algarvecarhire.co.uk (thanks barlaventoexpert!). Can anyone comment on them please? Thanks.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 17:59
london
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

try travelrent.pt , we have used them for several years . We've got a fiesta type car for nearly 5 weeks in july/august for 560 euros .

london
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

forgot to mention we did book that in january so may have got an early booking deal .

H S
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

Thank you, I'd forgotten you had mentioned travelrent.pt - I've sent them an email.

Drive4fun have offered me a car but it's smaller than I need really. Marinarent don't have anything for my dates. That's the problem of booking a last minute holiday I guess!

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

I saw a lot of cars from Goldcar on the roads. All seemed brandnew. You might try them too?

london
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

If you do a search for goldcar on this site you will find numerous posts slating this company !

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

July and early August are peak period in the Algarve for car hire.

Constraints on lease financing for the car hire operators during the current economic crisis has meant that many car hire firms have been unable to expand their fleets just for this period. Prices are always higher as well during this period.

One should always book ones hire car early if travelling to the Algarve during the period in question or be prepared to pay a substantial premium on price to get a car from reputable firms.

I agree with the comments above about Goldcar.

H S
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

Thanks for your comments everyone. It's a last minute holiday and I didn't realise car hire was a problem as we've been in late August before, on the spur of the moment, without issues, but barlaventoexpert has explained why.

I read the bad press about Goldcar - the reason there are so many is that they are invariably the cheapest on the comparison websites, though obviously not in the long term judging by the horror stories! - and they are not a company I would consider.

I think I'll have to go with Drive4fun's small car unless anything else comes back from the other emails this morning; it may be small, but it's better than nothing!

H S
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

I've had a much more reasonable quote from Zitauto, but a bit worried about cash on collection. Just searched the old posts and most comments on Zitauto are positive, but does anyone have any more up to date experience of them please?

Thanks.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent car hire at reasonable price in July

We have neighbours who regularly visit the Algarve and always use ZitAuto.

They have never complained about them.