We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire at Faro Airport

england
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire at Faro Airport

Anyone used Firefly car hire? Do they offer good service, reliable cars etc.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

There were previous posts: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189111-i330-k60…

england
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

Yes all well and good but the thread relates to Advantage car hire, not firefly. Has advantage renamed itself?

ilkley
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

Firefly faro have a full to empty fuel policy and charged us 1.95 euros per litre when the going rate was 1.6 euros and also for 44 litres of petrol when our car hand book stated a 40 litre tank! We were also charged 15 euros for the motorway transponder fitted to the car for which we have never been charged previously. Added to this there was no firefly rep to meet us at the airport to take us to the off site location.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

I used them this year for 1st and last time. They are cheap at headline rate but the extras are painful and unreasonable.

Worse than that they added another small fee to my card weeks after my return. no reason given.

they are part of Hertz and frankly they should not trade like this.

I would avoid.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

If you used holiday autos as the broker for this service please note there is not a shuttle from the airport that is waiting for you when you arrive. You can either wait for the shuttle at the back of the Hertz office or walk. It is about 100m from the Hertz office round the back and through the car park and across the road. The firefly office is situated in a carpark beyond the roundabout. From my own perspective I won't be using them again the car I ordered was nothing like what I received and then they charge you for petrol at above forecourt price and fill your tank before you leave meaning if you bring it back with any fuel it's your loss. Further, unless you take the 11 euro per day insurance they check your car for the slightest of damage and they take 2500 euros of your credit card before you take the car off carpark.

down
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

We just used Auto rent. No problems, lovely staff, no hidden charges. Bring the car back half full

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

We have just returned from Portugal and had ordered a car for around 40 Euros, we didn't end up taking the car,

LMKEMAC this happened to us and we told them to do one, we decided to get a taxi (this was another experience, basically a 40 minute panic attack) and then used the Noddy train whilst in Albufeira, much more pleasurable, stay well clear of Firefly.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

Had a poor experience with Hertz last October. The hire car was in a disgraceful condition. I took photos showing a hole in the carpet, broken parcel shelf, scratched bodywork etc. When I got home and complained i was offered a voucher - off my next Hertz hire! So the compensation would cost me more! Amazed that Hertz is so careless of its reputation. Back to Sixt next time..

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

FIREFLY - DO NOT GO NEAR THIS COMPANY

They are well named "fly" because they are total rip off merchants. They may look cheap but there are endless hidden costs and the biggest scam is on the fuel. They charge you for a full tank and say they will pay you for the fuel you haven't used. They then say the tank has less in it than it has, offer less than the going rate and have the temerity to charge you more than €20 for refilling. Despite the fact that we had prepaid insurance they tried to sell us more. They appear to be linked to Hertz and were recommended by Jet2 who should really think twice about being associated with such dodgy dealers.

10. Re: Car Hire at Faro Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2015, 05:15