We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atlas choice/paa car rental faro

Which Faro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Henley-on-Thames...
3 posts
Save Topic
atlas choice/paa car rental faro

I would not use PAA car rental. We hired a car through atlas choice car rentals and there FARO representative company PAA car rentals. When we arrived there was the usual scrum to try and sort out the rental. Having been given the keys to the car we were told to speak to PAA if there were any problems with the car. We did find a problem in as much as the passenger side front tyre had a split on the side wall of the tyre. When we questioned this with the PAA rep he told us that this was not a problem and the car was safe to drive. against our better judgement we took the car and carried on with our holiday. When we returned the car we were met by a different PAA rep who went almost immediately to the front passenger side tyre and told us that we had damaged the tyre and he was going to charge us 110 euros to replace it. We obviously disputed this but really had no option but to pay, which left us feeling as though we had been scammed!!

I have tried to contact Atlas car hire to resolve this issue but have had no success. I would not use either of these companies again as there practices are extremely dubious.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

Is there any point in replying to this? How long before you people stop doing this? Rent a car from a proper car rental company!

Henley-on-Thames...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

Wasn't really looking for a reply! Just trying to let unsuspecting holiday makers know about the shysters that are out there!! Hopefully the more aware people are the less bad practice these companies will get away with!!!

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

We have used PAA with no problems at all.

Many times people here offer advice to renters to make sure that they cover themselves for just this kind of situation,yet time and again people just walk away without getting verification from the rental companies of any problems with their vehicle.By insisting on verification you are showing them that you are no pushover. Some will just take advantage,and unfortunately,

that is down to you if you do not make a stand.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 15:09
Henley-on-Thames...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

Yes, in hindsight I agree! However, when you have had a long journey and want to get to your final destination you dont really feel as though you should have to spend a long time marking every scratch, dent, tyre and windscreen problem down on a piece of paper. You hire these cars in good faith and don't expect to be scammed when returning the vehicle. Why, when you drive carefully and do your best to look after the vehicle, should you be hit with charges for damages that are hard for you to prove that weren't there initially and are clearly made for the benefit of the hire company. I agree that if you damage the car you should pay for it! Anyway, the point is that the car we hired was not fit for purpose from the moment we took it and should not have been released to us with defective tyres which it was! Yes, again in hindsight, we shouldn't have taken it, but we were told it was ok by a PAA staff member!

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

I'm about to pick up a car from PAA and will report back on whether they are still trying to scam car renters

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

I would be interested in an update as to how your rental with paa was. I'm using them in a few weeks. Looking at the 'extras' do you know what the airport surcharge or border exit extras are?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

PAA charge 30 Euros to take the car over the border into Spain. If you ring then before 12pm on the day of travel they will allow this.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

PAA are still doing this scam. I read some mixed reports about them and I was in 2 minds whether to cancel my card to prevent them taking any money. In hindsight I wish I had because like others I was ripped off after the hire by £140 due to a forced lock. I had taken photos but they insisted my photo of a perfectly fine lock was of a damaged lock as per the one they'd taken and sent to me. I'd also argued that in their photo, the car was in a different position to how I had left it as I had reversed into the parking bay but they had turned it around and then took photos of the damaged lock, therefore technically taking ownership of the car before reporting damage to the lock. It's all now gone silent. This was just last week. My advice is do not return it out of hours as there's no staff to sign off any damage. Insist that they go around the car when you collect it too even if they say it's no problem because it will be. It's fair enough for people to say we should go with a better company and if the difference between these cowboys and someone like Avis was a few pounds per day I would go for it even at extra cost. Europe has a code of practice for car hire companies but only 8 companies have signed up and PAA are not one of them. Use Europcar or Avis or Hertz if you can as they are based in Faro airport and not in the car park. Plus they are part of the code of practice. Do not use PAA if you can avoid them.

Edited: 01 June 2015, 18:16
County Dublin...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

I have just booked a PAA car through Atlas, I was unaware of these comments as I didn't know who the provider was until I had paid. I will be collecting the car next week and will report back when I return it (about a two week hire)

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: atlas choice/paa car rental faro

I hired a car from them in May. To be fair the Ford Focus estate was nearly new and there was no problem with it. However they do have two 'scams' which are to charge you 20 euros for parking at the airport (NB their portacabin office is in the middle of Car Park 1, so you have no choice but to pay PAA's overheads).

They also charge 15 Euros 'Airport tax' (heaven know what this is - I was too tired to argue). It would be interesting to know if users of other car hire companies at Faro Airport get charged this too?

Also although my quote from Enjoy Carhire was supposed to include a 2nd driver, surprise, surprise I was charged another 20 Euros for this too. I didnt go to Spain, but was asked the question. So all in all not a bargain. I will go back to Holiday Autos if they can come up with a halfway decent quote next time.

Edited: 26 June 2015, 15:21