We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Evora to Salema

Boston
8 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Evora to Salema

We are traveling to Portugal in early October. We want to avoid car travel if possible and I'm looking for a website, if it exists, for bus timetables so we can figure out how to get from Evora to Salema. We have 3 nights in Salema. Any tips? Thanks!!

Évora
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

In october you have only a daily bus. It leaves Évora at 14h 30m and it arrives to Lagos at 18h 40m. But you must change at Albufeira.

From Lagos to Salema you have a lot of buses www.eva-bus.com/home_pesquisa2.php…

You must cheque www.rede.expressos.pt, only in Portuguese, and there in HORÁRIOS - Timetables and

http://www.eva-bus.com/home.php?lang=PT

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

For bus services on the Algarve look at www,algarvebus.info very easy to use and all in English

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

Thanks to algarveaddict! algarvebus.info is my site but I will add a bit to the correct recommendation above. My site does not cover the detail of long-distance buses which www.rede-expressos.pt does admirably.

The 1435 bus from Evora will get you to Lagos at 1840; a change of bus is required in Albufeira. The cost of that journey is €14.40 - this is the only available fairly direct journey in October.

There are local buses connecting from Lagos to Salema only at these times:

1940 weekdays; 2030 daily. At least you will have time for a drink and a sandwich! Separate ticket required; journey is 32 minutes and will cost you €2.10

The local bus goes from the same place as the long-distance buses.

Not bad - all that way for €16.50 or about £11 or US22.25.

The full timetable for local buses back from Salema to Lagos you will find on my site at www.algarvebus.info/012.htm

I cannot guarantee that times won't change between now and October but if they do (and I can actually discover this!) I will of course update the timetables.

There are other convoluted options for travel between Evora and the south (I did it by train) so if the times above don't suit, send me a personal message and I will see what else I can come up with.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

If you'd prefer the train (as I would), you have two options:

Evora................ 622 1244

Casa Branca....647 1309 (train reverses, do not panic)

Beja...................740 1406 (you MAY need to change trains)

Beja...................755 1417

Funcheira.........851 1513 (change)

Funcheira.........859 1539

Tunes..............1014 1646 (change)

Tunes..............1139 1701

Lagos..............1239 1755

Then bus to Salema ("Rota do Infante") as per Cubsur's post above.

Three changes, but very straightforward if everything runs on time.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

That's the route I used; local trains via Funcheira. However the ticket machine at Evora flatly refused to sell me a ticket, insisting I go via Pinhal Novo and I ended up writing down that itinerary for the afternoon train before the ticket office came up with the goods!

It was indeed a good journey; I had the Beja - Funcheira train almost all to myself (I did have it literally to myself on the way out; I was the only passenger on the one-car train) and all the connections worked.

I prefer train to bus whenever possible but we don't have much of a network down here in the rural south and especially in the middle.

The arrival time at Lagos allows plenty of time for the few minutes walk from railway station to bus station.

6. Re: Bus from Evora to Salema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:19