We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marina park???

algarve
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
marina park???

hi. thinking of going to marina park in august.are these apts ok? i know everyone will have different opinions on the place,but my concern is the location.i will have apushchair with me,so im a bit worried about the hill which is mentioned in other reviews.also looked at vila dona ana? ive been doing my research on lagos,but dont seem to be getting anywhere.any ideas on best places to stay with a family,not too far from beach and town.apartments if possible. many thanks.

p

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,475 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marina park???

The general area of Lagos is very hilly indeed. The only flat bits are the area of the Marina, the 'Esplanade' which runs down the riverbank on the other side and out towards the big beach at Meia Praia, the latter being on the other side of the river from town and possibly a bit too far with a push-chair!

Marina Park apartments are within reasonable distance of both town and Meia Praia and there is also a large supermarket a short walk away.

To get to town (say half a mile) you have to go across a lifting bridge at the marina then down the Esplanade but the old part of the town is full of steep hills.

The beach at Meia Praia is a bit further in the other direction and I reckon the best part of the beach will be nearer a mile away.

Lagos town itself has only one tiny beach down by the old castle at the entrance to the river.

I don't know the Dona Ana area but from a distance it looks like cliffs and small bays and is a bus/taxi ride from the town centre.

If you go to googlemaps.co.uk and find Lagos, you can see the satellite pictures and terrain maps which will give you a better idea of the area. You can clearly see the marina with the boats in it - and the rocks and cliffs at Dona Ana!

Hope that helps a bit.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marina park???

There are some great apartments near the marina itself, completely on the flat (In fact with a bit of global warming they'll be flooded at spring tides).

There is an Apartotel (Marina Club) which is more of a hotel and very popular with families, espexcially during the school holidays (lost of Irish). The rooms are fully equipped apartments (suites if you like) but you have the benefit of teh poool, plus reception/bar/maid, etc.. Word of warning though - I hear next season they're going to include breakfast in the price whether you want it or not (and they're already not cheap).

In the same complex there are plenty of other apartments for rent which are not part of this hotel.

We normally use the Marina Club itself, and book through algarve retreats in the uk, although there are plenty of other providers.

http://www.algarve-retreats.co.uk/

If you stay at Marina Park you will have to push your buggy past these, and every time you do so in the heat of the day you will ask yourself sweatily "why didn't we just stay here?".

algarve
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marina park???

thanks to you both for your replies,much appreciated.

4. Re: marina park???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations