We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Seafood Restaurants?

My boyfriend and I are returning to Lagos at the end of August for two weeks.

Neither of us like fish and I found a lot of the restaurants had little non-fish dishes on them when we were there last. Yes, I know we shouldn't be going to a sea side resort if we don't like fish, but we loved Lagos in every other way.

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants that aren't too heavy on seafood? Particularly places with chicken (and not just piri piri!).

Thanks!

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

eeeh?????

I know our local restaurants love to intimidate punters into buying fish by the kilo at sometimes silly prices but they all offer non-fish dishes.

Just don't let them intimidate you!!!!!

Ask them for pratos de carne (meat dishes).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Well I just found that all the good restaurants mentioned on here that we visited had almost all fish. Mainly the only chicken they had was piri piri.

I'm looking for some good restaurants that have hardly any fish on the menu so it doesn't limit my choice too much.

Lagos Portugal
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Hi,

For great steaks try Fernando's on the front, the last restaurant after the fish market but before the petrol garage. For a great lamb stew try Baros just after the fish market towards the garage. Christians Kitchen opposite the entrance to the Tivoli hotel has a range of dishes including Chicken Satay and if you speak to him the day before he can come up with other ideas. And No Patio on Rua Lancarote de Freitas, up past the Cultural Centre out towards the old town wall exit has a veried menu also.

Hope these help for starters.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Mullens' menu has two fish dishes, and chicken piri-piri, but the other fifteen or so main courses have never been anywhere near the ocean. Mullens will also do you a chicken piri-piri without the piri-piri (i.e., bbq chicken) if you ask nicely.

There are also Italian restaurants, one Swiss, and also Duquesa which have no particular leaning towards fish.

If you want to go up-market, Dos Artistas (next to Mullens) has some lovely meat dishes.

(When I first went to Lagos, I was in the same boat as you, but Lagos converted me - grilled fresh fish is magic).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Keep it coming! We're not going til August.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

Hi Rachie

We have just booked our annual pilgrimage to Lagos yesterday. My favourites (when I don't fancy fish) would be Do Cais on the Marina or the Italian or Indian in the old town. I can't think of the names of them at the moment - but will let you know in June! The Indian is a tiny place but the food is sublime and for nothing. I remember the first time we went and had expected to be up all night with motillium on standby - but it was sooo good we went three or four times on that trip!. Italian has great pasta/pizza and also do good steaks. Will post update for you when we return!

I always loved D'artistas and it was one of the reasons we always returned to Lagos. However the last time we visited I had to return my monkfish (raw in centre) and the food wasn't as great as it used to be.

Have to agree with you - I love Lagos too. Cant wait to return!

Ayr
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

plenty of palces with meat dishes

i recommend Mullens Fernando Duquess

breakfast at cafe odean

8. Re: Non-Seafood Restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 07:16