We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

Hi. Back with another food / drink related query. We are arriving in Lagos at around 8pm on a Sunday evening and will be staying at the Marina Park apartments. Can you please tell me if any shops will be open in the vicinity to buy some food at that time? I am presuming not but thought it worth while asking the experts!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

The obvious store is the Pingo Doce which is near the Marina. HOWEVER:

Horário de Verão:

8:30-22:00

Observações:

Dom./Fer. 8h30-13h00

Which, if my Portuguese serves mne correctly means it shuts from 1pm on Sundays and Holidays.

There are two smaller supermarkets on the walk from the marina into town, but I know the furthest one of these is shut in the evenings. However, the nearer "green and white one" not far from the footbridge (can't remember it's name, sorry) is open in the evenings, probably until ten. Can't be 100% sure about Sundays though.

If you're coming by taxi or private transfer your driver will be able to divert somewhere en route from the airport if he knows somewhere that's open. You might even get some very basics (like alcohol) at the airport itself. There are petrol stations on the motorway which might have what you need.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

Some companies/ people might provide you with essentials if asked on arrival - costs involved of course, but it might save dashing around

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

The new ecomarche on the avenida near the Repsol garage and Luzcar (the old marachinos) should be open.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

What food are you looking to buy?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

Thanks for all the advice / suggestions. Just want to pick up a few things for breakfast the following morning - milk, bread, etc. Would be happy to stroll out and stock up in the morning but our toddler may not want to wait for brekkie, which I suppose is reasonable in a two year old's case!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

I was in Lagos the other day and the Ecomarche on the Avenida da Marina near the bridge (that's on the other side of the river from the Marina Park apartments) was advertising itself as open every day from 8am to 9pm. Even so that's a bit tight!

Most of the big stores close at 1pm on Sundays as has been said already.

7. Re: Sunday evening arrival - any grocery stores open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 06:27