We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lagos Safe?

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lagos Safe?

I read a review about lagos on the trip advisor website by a man who said his sons had been attacked in lagos town - and that this was common. Ive booked a week with my boyfriend at the end of august and Im a little anxious after reading that review. Is lagos a safe area at night??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

Forgive the question, but are we talking about Lagos on the Algarve here or maybe confusing it with Lagos, Nigeria? The reasons I ask are that 1.)I don't recall ever having seen a post on this forum such as the one you mention and 2.)This doesn't sound at all like the Lagos I know and love and have been visiting for over twenty years.

Whilst I confess that I no longer stay out much beyond 1:00 am these days and tend not to frequent the quieter back streets at night, I have never, in all those years, witnessed anything worse than a couple of Scottish guys having a drunken verbal disagreement ( nothing personal to my many Scottish friends, - the guys just happened to be Scottish!)

I have certainly never witnessed any violence in town; Lagos just isn't the type of town to attract that kind of holidaymaker.

You can visit with confidence if you take common sense precautions and avoid unpopulated dark areas as you would do anywhere in this day and age.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

yes i must say i have never heard of people getting beaten up in the algarve. it is one of the few places in this world i would visit on my own as a single female. bg

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

We've been going to Lagos for a good number of years and can honestly say that I've only ever come across one fellow tourist being a victim of crime - basically a bag snatch on one of the more secluded beaches at 4 o'clock in the morning and that was years ago - a romantic idea but a bit daft if you ask me.

Have walked through Lagos town many a time in the early hours and never had a problem.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

I have lived here 3 years and I would say that the town centres here are far less dangerous/disagreeable that the average English country town High Street on a Friday or Saturday night. (Former resident of Tonbridge, Kent, speaking.)

That's not to say there isn't crime, but you don't get gangs of drunken kids, threateningly hanging around the streets. Take sensible precautions and you will be OK

Lagos Portugal
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

After coming to visit for many more years than I like to recall and lived here permanently for 3, I can say that I have never felt uncomfortable walking about town late at night as a lone female, and I live at the other end of town to where I work so its a canny walk. Would never have contempleted it back in good old north east of blighty

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

Thank yous all so much for your replies!!You have put my mind at ease. Cant wait for my holiday now :-)

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

I hope I speak for all other previous posters that I'm pleased you are no longer concerned. Have a great holiday!!

Just watch out for the monsters in your wardrobe! They'll nick your cornflakes.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

LAGOS IS NOT SAFE

Just got back from two weeks there, and have to report that one of our party got bitten on the backside by an ant.

(No mozzies though)

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Lagos Safe?

Could have been worse I suppose!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,331 posts