We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos or Vilamoura?

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, Northern...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice.

My husband and I are about to book a holiday for ten days to Portugal. We went to Vilamoura five years ago and really enjoyed our week there. The beach was so handy and the marina was great for evenings out and the restaurants were fantastic but we'd like to try somewhere different.

Lagos looks lovely, albeit a bit quiet. Would anyone recommend Lagos over Vilamoura? Is the beach near to most hotels? Are there at least a few good restaurants? Lastly there is a new hotel called Vila Gale Lagos - has anyone stayed there? No reviews yet as it's so new.

All advice would be appreciated. Thanks

ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi,

Vila Gale was only due to open this week I think. Its location is excellent, right beside the main beach ( Meia Praia). Other beaches are at the front of the main promenade ( two) and a few others a little further from the town centre ( Dona Ana , Porto do Mos etc..) . You will be spoilt for choice re restaurants . I have been visiting for a few years now . I have preference for the marina area as a base as it is very convenient to all facilities and is only short walk to town centre ( for daily stroll / evening restaurants )

Good lunches at Do Cais , at the marina or for beach front views , Lindas ( at meia praia beach) . Also great thursday evening barbeques ( summer months only) at Duna Beach Club at meia praia beach.

www.majesticalgarve.com gives flavour of Meia Praia location in Lagos.

Belfast, Northern...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi saintIreland

Thanks for your post. It's very informative and I think we just might try Lagos!

Thanks again

lagos
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

simply Lagos but a bit of building work going on see

…blogspot.com/search/label/BUILDING%20WORK

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Vila Gale is just round the corner from us. Will post a report shortly.

To be honest with the roads dug up both in the town of Lagos and now the main Meia Praia road, (just in front of the Vila Gale) (500m dirt diversion), I really have to say to people to give Lagos centre and Meia Praia a miss this summer. It is likely that the folks using the new pool at the Vila Gale will have to put up with sand and dirt being blown over from the ongoing road works outside.

The Camara (local council) have made a complete dog's breakfast of the planning and time scheduling of major local works, including the redevelopment of the riverfront and Meia Praia Rd. The Mayor's quoted response to local business during a recent meeting was that .."these works are in the public interest"....

If you heading for Torraltinha and the Porto de Mos area of Lagos there should be no problem.

However, the riverfront development and the redevelopment of the old dirt car-park together with a rampant ongoing blocking of parking spaces, means that I really have to suggest that trying to take a car into Lagos centre, even at night, this year is a no-no.

The projects in Lagos are due for completion by year-end.

However, based on my limited knowledge of engineering projects, I would suggest that we will be lucky if the town is approaching normal by this time next year.

If you are visiting Lagos by public transport it will be OK, with the exception of the eyesore of the works along the river front.

I love Lagos and would normally recommend it anytime over Vilamoura. However, in all honestly, we are in for a right rum summer season her in Lagos.

Can I suggest you also have a look at the options of Tavira, Monte Gordo and the Eastern Algarve.

Belfast, Northern...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi thanks for the post! Unfortunately we've already booked our holiday to Lagos. We'll be due to arrive on 5 June!

Oh dear!

lagos
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

dont get to worried use the local bus or taxi to the town and the city centre itself is Ok away from the front the nightlife is still good....

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi We arrived home from Lagos a week or so ago and were not inconvenienced by the work.

Belfast, Northern...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

Hi

Thanks for all the input. I work in a hotel and I know that for some people any construction work is a nightmare. We are pretty relaxed about any works - at least they show that the area is improving. As long as the dust doesn't blow on us when we're sun bathing. However I am keen to go to the beach most days and sure, the sand blows on you then too!

At least the Vila Gale has been reviewed by one happy guest (4/5) so we'll keep our fingers crossed and put the sun glasses on to keep the dust out of our eyes!

Thanks again

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

"Unfortunately we've already booked our holiday to Lagos"

Unfortunately? Lagos? Never!

I guarantee** you will have a good time, but even if the works spoil your stay, don't let them cloud your judgement for future years.

We do Lagos every year, and love it. Last year we did a day trip to Vilamoura. We liked the marina by day, but had the impression the place had a bit of a hangover and would become very British at night (wall-to-wall Irish bars). Lagos is busy and fairly British in places too, but generally it is more laid back and has alot more going on beyond its marina.

** terms and conditions apply, and alcohol may be involved.

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lagos or Vilamoura?

We are heading to Lagos in June for 4 nights, are you able to recommend some places to stay. We would like to be close to the bars and and be able to lounge by the pool bar all day!