We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lagos is loosing its attraction

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
lagos is loosing its attraction

well just got back .

will we be going again, not sure.

unfortunately lagos is loosing or has lost some of its charm.

its probably something to do with the recession, but its definitly changing.

owners of restaurants and bars have told me first hand,including locals who want to move out.

combination of high taxes.

there are more lesser wealthy people visiting from the uk, these together with the portugese cannot afford to dine out.

my wife noticed it within the first few days of arrival.

im sure this will turn into an interesting debate

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,686 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Statement of fact. Visitor numbers across the Algarve were down 20% in 2009 compared with 2008, this year promises to be not much better. There are bars and restaurants threatened with closure all over.

The visitors who go to LIDL, buy cheap beer and drink it on their hotel balconies will be the first to complain.

But in reality it is no different to the UK where I am at this moment, There seem to be more closed down pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops everywhere I look here and for the same reasons.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

The Algarve has been widely featured in the British tabloids as an affordable holiday destination which is reflected in the people coming here. There has been talk in the Portuguese papers that establishments shouldn't lower prices any more for fear of turning the Algarve into a big Benidorm, which sadly some of it is already....

It's a shame this is being said in reference to Lagos though which is one of the nicer places.

B

www.movingtoportugal.org

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
371 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Have just returned from Lagos our third consecutive year to visit here and have to say that we enjoyed our holiday thoroughly and can not agree with previous comment. I am sure Lagos restaurants and bars are feeling the recession as are many other countries worldwide but we will continue to visit Lagos for many years to come I hope.

Lancs
Level Contributor
132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Also Have to disagree. We have just been for the first time. Loved it and will definatley return. Thought it was cheaper than france and Spain where we usually go. Excellent atmosphere, no trouble or gangs of drunks wandering around, just families and couples. I accept we went at a busy time ie last two weeks in August but most restaurants appeared very busy with the town itself at night heaving with people.

Ireland
Level Contributor
257 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

I most certainly disagree with this too, i have been to Lagos every year over the last number of years, twice this year 2 weeks in July and a week again in Aug and it is top class, no riff raff here and no trouble, a most beautiful part of the algarve and I am going back again in Oct for a week. Lots of friends have been there and still going and no complaint from anyone. The restaurants, beaches, pubs, accommodation etc are one of the best and the portugese are very friendly.This is classy portugal without a doubt.. Long may it last...

Lisboa
Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

paultugal, you are probably right.

Lots of "low cost tourists" this summer in the Algarve....that's what I've read in the press.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Sadly to say I have to agree with paultugal's comments, and anyone who knows anyone will know that many local businesses are practically in melt down. The municipality of Lagos has tens of thousands of unsold and almost literally unsalable apartments and businesses; and that is a fact.

Likewise the development of Lagos has been ill conceived and ever inching away from its charm and historic roots. Nonetheless I continue to love the place. That's why people like paultugal and myself express our concerns for its future.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Someone (banks, municipality, wealthy individuals?) must be sitting on a huge bank of empty properties. The place is hardly awash with for sale signs, and property prices seem buoyant, if not artificially high.

For us, Lagos is not losing its attraction, but our interest in other places has been re-awakened recently.

Lagos
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Can I just add that being in Lagos for 8 out of 12 months a year for the past three years, I think it is still a top place! I recently went to Corfu for the first time in over 30 years - development there is different, but they need some fine tuning! Eating out was much more expensive than Portugal and the local supermarkets didn't have any "bargains" - food in Portugal is cheaper, wine is cheaper, beer is cheaper! Although we enjoyed Corfu, I was glad to come back to Lagos!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: lagos is loosing its attraction

Fletch makes a very good point.

In the Lagos region there are literally tens of thousands of unsold properties and it is well known that they are grossly overpriced.

Looking to buy? Try starting 20% below the asking price and work your way down ..... and down. Do not be fooled that Lagos is an up and coming Monte Carlo. Adore the place but heard it all before.