We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport in and around Lagos

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport in and around Lagos

Wondered if anyone can help me out with bus routes around Lagos. We are staying at the Boavista Gold resort in December and would prefer not to hire a car. I want to know if its on a bus route and how frequent the buses are. It would be to initially get in and out of Lagos and then the surrounding area.

Many thanks in advance

PS I have seen the bus website but its in Portuguese and normally I can find a way of getting the info I want but the website is proving difficult.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

One presumes you mean the Boavista Golf resort!

There are no buses that pass through the Boavista Resort.

Onda Buses, (Linha Amarela - Line 4) run along the EN125 and stop near the main access road to Boavista. The stop is called Boavista. This Line runs from Lagos via Luz, and Burgau and v.v.

The timetable can be downloaded here:

http://j.mp/9GEpIA

Eva Transportes buses operating the route Lagos to Sagres also stop at the nearby 4 Estradas Crossroads.

Timetable here:

http://j.mp/6CpGiy

and

http://j.mp/9U2GN5

It should be noted that the last buses on both services operate between 20:00 and 20:30. Also note that on Saturdays (Sabado) and Sunday (Domingo) services are reduced.

In all honesty, whether buses are realistic for you will depend on where you are staying on BoaVista. If it is near the Office and Club House it might be realistic to use the buses.

It you are staying on the Atalaia side, forget it as you will have a 1km walk include up/down hills to get to the resort entrance.

In my opinion,however, anyone staying at Boavista should have a hire car.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

You may also consult this page of mine if you wish

www.algarvebus.info/lagos.htm

My map says Boasvists Golf Resort but it only goes past the front. The interactive route map seems to have gone from the official website, so I am no longer sure where the number 4 actually does go in that area!

Edited: 08 November 2010, 09:31
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

Thanks for your comprehensive answers - yes I meant Golf not Gold. I am happy to get a car although slighty nervous as I have never driven in Europe before. I presume its not a terrible busy area for a novice to find one's feet. I would of course collect a car from Faro - how busy is that?

We are staying in the Fairview area of the golf course which I believe is near the golf course.

Many thanks for your information - trip advisor is great for finding what a place is like in order to make the right decision.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

If you are used to an automatic shift, don't forget to specify it you are not used to a manual shift.

As far as I am concerned there is not problem driving over here, just that the steering wheel and lane are on the opposite side. Just to make things more interesting, I usually drive a UK built RHD car over here! :))

Faro is a medium sized airport and as you are coming in December, traffic will be moderate.

If you take the A22 Via da Infante Motorway from near Faro to Lagos, come of at exit 1, follow the exit road for 8km, turn right onto the EN 125 (direction Sagres/VIla de Bispo) at the 2nd roundabout and BoaVista is about 1km further on on the right.

See also this old post on my blog which may help as well:

http://j.mp/civJds

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

Thank you very much for your comment - I will probably 'be brave' and hire a car! I'm a manual driver but can drive either confidently. Wish me luck

Manchester/Lagos
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

Fairview village is only a 5 minute walk to the bus stop which is outside the resort entrance on the right. I would also advise hiring a car so you can get out and explore the area. Car rental rates are at their cheapest during this period.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

Thank you for that - its good to know that there is an alternative to a car if we choose not to hire one - we probably will as looking forward to exploring... Can't wait..thanks for all the advice.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

I love the reference to hiring a car being the "brave" option. In most places, this would be considered the safe option. Are Portuguese roads so unsafe? (Most of the motorists are tourists anyway).

Having said that, we rarely hire a car in Lagos nowadays. Trains and buses get to most places (even the smaller villages if you plan carefully using Cubsur's site), and it means you can have a glass of vinho verde or two.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

The "less safe" roads tend to be east of Lagos the closer you get to Faro where the traffic is busier, naturally. That said if you largely use the motorway it's fine and out of main season not at all busy.

Personally I'd go with a hire car as it gives you a lot more options. Public transport is fine but can't take you everywhere and as cubsur points out not all the times may fit in with your Itinerary. You would still have the option to use public transport anyway.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport in and around Lagos

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm a confident driver and I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of driving on the otherside etc...

I am now thinking of hiring a car from Lagos and getting the train from Faro. Can anyone recommend a good reputable hire company in the town?