We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos to Lisbon car hire

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos to Lisbon car hire

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to visit Lagos and Lisbon in November 2011. We were wondering, if its a good idea to rent a car in Lagos to be able to drive around in the Algarve, and then head on to Lisbon.

Can someone please tell me what are the good and cheap car rental companies in Portugal and whether its a good idea to drive & explore?

HOw long does it take from lagos to Lisbon?

Also, can you tell me what sort of weather does Lagos/Lisbon have in November?

Thanks

Namz

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,767 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

Lagos to Lisbon is about 3 hours drive plus about an hour in Lisbon trying to find somewhere to park. Do find an hotel with private parking if you can. A car is not needed in Lisbon itself.

All the major car rental agencies are present here in the Algarve but some may not have offices in Lagos. Look at Avis, Hertz, Europcar etc.

How will you be arriving in Portugal? if you are flying in to either Lisbon or Faro airports it makes sense to hire a car at the airport. Lagos is about 1 hour's drive from Faro airport.

Lagos is at the western end of the Algarve, the nicest end and there are plenty of places to see within a short drive.

Weather in November can be cool and wet, daytime temperatures in the mid to high 50's F, 13 - 16C. We do get quite a bit of rain in November and down in the western end of the Algarve it can be very windy.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Faro Airport
Faro Airport
Faro, Portugal
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

Thank you for the detailed reply.

We will be coming from Seville via bus. We do not plan to use the car in lisbon so will take it only for exploring the Algarve and then for the drive to Lisbon. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

book your car at travel supermarket in advance.

i was in lagos last november, one day i was on the beach in tee shire and shorts.

that evening i got drenched walking through town back to my hotel.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

Two quite reputable car hire firms with offices in Lagos town:

www.auto-jardim.com

www.luzcar.com

Edited: 28 September 2011, 15:49
Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

Thank you all for the help.

Since we will be travelling by bus from Seville to The Algarve, would you suggest that we stop off at Faro (it happns to be on the route), and hire a car for the rest of the journey to Lagos? this way we might be able to see more of the region.

Or do you think we should just head straightto lagos?

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

With respect Travellernamz I'm getting quite confused. In November you are spending 2 days in Mallorca, then going to Seville, before busing to Lagos for 1.5 days, and then onto Lisbon.

Perhaps an overall outline of your itinerary would enable people to offer you more accurate advise.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

i think you will be too tired to do so much in so little time,

you might get lost and this will take up precious time.

have you got sat nav

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

I agree with Paul, your schedule is extremely tight.

I can only presume that when you say you have 1.5 days in Lagos, the half day is when you are preparing to travel to Lisbon. As such you only have one day to explore the Algarve.

What strikes me is that if you want to explore, you may actually miss out on exploring what is directly on your doorstep. That includes the many things to experience in Lagos town itself.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
9. Re: Lagos to Lisbon car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:18