We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to visit from Lagos by train

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Place to visit from Lagos by train

Hello, having a wonderful time in Lagos, but would love to see a bit more of the area, can anyone suggest any interesting places to visit on a day trip by train ? Nice scenic old towns or villages would be lovely.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

Well you can only go east by train. Silves is a fairly nice town, with its narrow streets, castle remains, cathedral and riverside. The station is a little over a mile from the town and it's uphill all the way back afterwards. Buses don't connect with most of the trains.

Beyond there, the line runs inland, away from the main towns until it gets to Faro. Faro is a large, mostly modern, city but does have a small old city area behind the walls. There is a nice mostly pedestrianised city centre

Train times www.algarvebus.info/006.htm

Silves will cost you €5,10 return, Faro €13,60

If you don't mind a trip on a bus, Aljezur is an unspoiled town 50 minutes north of Lagos on the bus and through some pretty pleasant countryside.

thomasallen.home.sapo.pt/travel/036.htm

The trip is only possible on weekdays.

Sagres with its harbour, castle and museum is about an hour by by bus out to the west. Times at www.algarvebus.info/012.htm

I hope that helps.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

Thank you very much, that is very helpful, Hope this lovely weather continues :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

I wouldn't put money on it. Rain is forecast over the next few days. It hasn't appeared here in Albufeira yet but I am going out shortly so that's when it will.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

Portimao is worth a trip too. Not a terribly pretty place, but plenty of Portuguese charm. Ignoring the promenade and Praia da Rocha, it's not too touristy and is a proper working town (not as proper as Faro, obviously), with some good places to eat fresh grilled fish.

For a circular tour, we sometimes take the 1037 train Lagos-Portimao, have a wander/shop/ice cream, then the vai-vem minibus(frequent) to Alvor, wash an enormous sea bass down with some vinho verde by the harbour, then have a nap on the proper Frota Azul bus (at 1540ish?) back to Lagos where arrival is just in time for happy hour.

I guess you can do this the other way round, leaving Lagos bus station at 1030 to Alvor. Watch out for the huge gap in mid-afternoon trains back from Portimao though (direct buses are hourly).

Good times!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

That's a good idea for a little trip out. I've done similar from Albufeira.

That afternoon bus from Alvor to Lagos is at 1520 every day, theoretically anyway. It is usually late. On weekdays there is another one at 1720 but at weekends nothing again until 1905.

The Vai e Vem bus service (route 10) between Portimão and Alvor (Roundabout) has recently been cut back to run only once every hour on Saturday afternoons and all day Sundays, at least for the winter. It runs every half hour at other times. Route 7 Portimão - Alvor (Fisherman's Statue) via Praia do Vau runs every 25 minutes on weekdays and Saturday mornings, every 45 minutes Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

>>That afternoon bus from Alvor to Lagos is at 1520 every day, theoretically anyway. It is usually late.

It always used to be 1520+20 minutes late, but I think it's been re-timed to 1535*. Anyway, it was only a couple of mins late the day we went - so the timetable is evidently more achievable.

*I must've got this time off the wall in Lagos BS, I can't find any evidence online to back it up. EVA barely acknowledges the existence of Alvor.

There is also now a boat service, if you have 20eu/head each way.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

I will make a point of checking the Alvor times at Albufeira bus station when I am there later this week. I was in Portimão last Wednesday and the times for that route posted there were the same as they have been for the last four years or so. Certainly the 1840 from Portimão to Albufeira was its customary 10 minutes late and was 15 late by the time we got there. But that might have been on account of the torrential rain.

I won't be off to Alvor again myself for a month or so yet.

8. Re: Place to visit from Lagos by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 04:15