We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos food

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos food

Hi, is the food in Lagos largely the stereotypical Brits abroad chips with everything or can you get some decent Portuguese/Mediterranean food?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos food

The food in Lagos is generally of a fairly high standard if you have a look on the restaurant forum you will get a fairly good idea of what to expect, and no it isn't stereotypical chips with everything!!

Leeds & Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos food

Whilst chips with anything is available (demand and supply) some of the best Portuguese food I've eaten in the Algarve has been in Lagos.

There are , obviously, several places in the Atlentajo and in other resorts and regions that are equally as good, if not better, but for the sheer range of quality in a relatively confined space, Lagos, IMHO, is one of the best.

Happy to be contradicted - and I;ll try to visit!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos food

we had a wonderful time in Lagos, apart from the Marina Club 4* Aparthotel. We ate in many different places and felt the overall standard was very good.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos food

Portugal has a wonderfully diverse gastronomic tradition.

Lagos has several restaurants offering traditional Portuguese cuisine.

Many dishes by default come with chips and rice BUT if you ask for batatas cozidos (boiled potatoes) or alternatives the hostelry in question will oft oblige. Also try fish dishes like Bacalhau com Natas and Bacalhau a Brás which tend to be all-in-one.

As regards restaurants offering traditional cuisine has a look at:

Adega da Marina (Cheap and cheerful), Portal de Infante, Bom Apetite, O Galeão, Reis, O Cantinho Algarvio, Don Sebastião, and several other establishments along Rua 25 de Abril.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos food

As a general observation, local beef is tougher than we're used to in the UK.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lagos food

Navegador and Linda's bar are two very good restaurants well worth a visit, both have excellent views from the table and great food to go with it.

We visit both at least twice on every visit to Lagos.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagos food

We always liked Linda Bar, so hope it has got over the recent ownership upheaval. Last year the service noticeably nosedived, which is surprising considering that Fatima (the old manager) came back.

When were you last there? What was your impression?

Edited: 30 July 2012, 15:58
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lagos food

majority of food is cooked over charcoal great fish and chicken

Also plenty of shellfish

as said above you tend to get chips with most dishes but they do great salads .

You nearly always get the tomato

If you like steak theres the tbone restaurant at torre.

my son has just come back and he would not return to Lindas bar.

I have been once before , the menu does read very well but i was very disappointed.

A beach restaurant called Sao Roque near bar is far better in my opinion.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lagos food

We were there in April/May and June, got to say no complaints at all, food and service very good.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lagos food

I'll give them another go.

Have to say that they always used to offer a good and varied standard of fare. In fact often of a higher standard than most comparably priced restaurants in the town. Plus you get probably the best view in Lagos.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 18:50