We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos

Los An
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos

How would I get to Lagos from Faro airport? Do I need to rent a car? I can't find a train ticket on raileurope...

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos

There are trains and buses between Faro and Lagos. You cannot buy a ticket through Rail Europe. There are no reservations etc on either train or bus. Just buy your ticket on the day and off you go.

Both are very inexpensive but both infrequent and irregular in nature. Train costs £7.15 one way, bus €5,80 trains are about 30 minutes quicker.

However you have to take a local bus or taxi from the airport into Faro city centre for the train and bus stations. It's only about 4 miles.

Airport - Faro ww.algarvebus.info/003.htm

Train times www.algarvebus.info/006.htm

Bus times www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

Two items of advice.

The train service is being plagued by strikes. Currently no services operate on public holidays. Other strikes are taking place without warning.

If you take the bus, you need to buy your bus ticket inside at the bus station ticket office. Cash only! (There is an ATM at the airport and also outside the bus station)

In Faro the bus and train stations are 100 yards apart and in the same street.

There are also several shuttle and transfer companies at the airport but both options, especially private transfers, will cost more than either bus or train but will usually be quicker. Private transfers must be pre-booked.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 08:28
Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos

Sorry

For information about shuttles, private transfers and car rental take a look at this page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189111-s304/Algarve:…

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos

I would strongly recommend that any solo traveller or backpacker travelling to Lagos these days consider routing by bus via Lisbon or Seville. Even though the transit time by bus is longer there are many more daily buses from Lisbon to Lagos. With the ongoing train strikes, lack of frequencies on bus and train, the increasing number of reports of problems with car hire at Faro Airport, and the hassle with the electronic tolls, Lisbon is a much better transit point for travelling to Lagos!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos

really are things that bad.

Lets go back to the escudo

5. Re: Lagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:16