We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorway tolls

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
282 reviews
Save Topic
Motorway tolls

What will the tolls cost between Faro Airport and Lagos, each way?

Being offered a hire car with transponder that costs €20 - will that cover it?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorway tolls

Yes. I make it €5.70 each way, Faro Oeste (West) to Lagos.

You can see for yourself at portugaltolls.com/en/…home

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorway tolls

At risk of being petty, the toll cost is actually €5.75 as the 'calculator' gets it wrong!

Bear in mind that you won't get €20 of tolls for your €20 as the hire company will include an admin charge in the €20 (leaving maybe €15 for tolls). If, for example, you also made a round trip to Algarve Shopping at Guia you would rack up another €4.05 each way from Lagos. You might think you're within your limit but you're probably not.

Whether the hire company would come after you for the 'extra' is another matter.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorway tolls

Hello, I travelled by car from the Spanish border near Ciudad Rodrigo and Porto in Portugal. I registered my car plate with Easy Toll which links your car plate with you credit card. However when I joined the A1 motorway northbound coming from the A25 motorway I did not take a ticket as I thought that it was not necessary since I had my car plate registered. On the A1 near Porto there was a toll exit. To my surprise I was obliged to pay the maximum toll charge €54.90 when it would have been €3.45 if I had taken a ticket where I joined the A1 motorway. I found out later that the company that manages the A1 motorway is Brisa which is a different company that manages the A25. It was my first time travelling on Portuguese roads. I lodge a complaint with Brisa. I found the customer service department very unhelpful. This was an outrageous charge. I explained and documented my case but Brisa is not going to refund the €54.90 to my account. I just wanted to say that I will never travel to Portugal again by car. Motorway tolls are excesive and found Brisa the company that manages the A1 motorway very unfair. Basically I felt that I was robbed!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorway tolls

You and everyone else! That's why large numbers of people apparently refuse to pay the tolls on the electronic only motorways, in the full knowledge that the company does not have the resources to pursue them.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorway tolls

Miguel, you can always travel on "normal" roads - they are not worse than in Ireland - and avoid the motorways. And besides the route from Lagos to Faro - which works only with toll plate - at nearly all the other motorways you take a ticket and pay when you take some exit.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorway tolls

There's no need to take the toll road from Faro to Lagos. Take the EN125, like most of us do. It takes 25 min. longer but the journey is part of the holiday, isn't it?

http://goo.gl/maps/TkRGz

Even if you don't take the transponder and want to use the toll road you can pay in Payshops and postoffices after 2 days of using the road. You then have 5 working days to pay.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorway tolls

Yes, I did that when in Lagos in September. Paid the Faro-Lagos toll in a payshop in Lagos which cost €6.07

But I didn't (couldn't) pay the return trip to airport on way home and never been chased for it either!

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorway tolls

I did not refuse to pay the motorway toll. In fact I had my car plate number register via Easy Toll for electronic toll. I assumed that when you have registered your foreign vehicle plate number with electronic Easy Toll service this covers for all toll motorways roads in Portugal. How is anyone from a country outside Portugal suppose to know that there are different companies managing the toll motorways?

I did not collect a ticket at the booth on the A1 motorway near Aveiro coming from the A25 motorway from the Spanish border because I did not know that I had to collect it.

I am very disappointed with Brisa customer care support. I provided copy of the receipt for electronic toll payment on the A25 ( the credit card statement shows the charges on the A25 on the 26 October 2013). The statement proves that I did not drive on the A1 the whole way despite of not having collected a ticket when I joined the A1. I drove on the A25 motorway and exit near Aveiro to take A1 towards Porto. I have no problem paying the standart cost of €3.50 toll charge from Aveiro to Porto on A1 but not maximum toll of €54.90 becuase I had not provided a ticket when I joined the A1 motorway. However Brisa stated that there is nothing they can do to refund my money. If you have no ticket then you pay maximum toll charge. This is not a satisfactory solution when you drive for the first time in Portugal from a foreign country.

I will never come back to Portugal. I was robbed by BRISA the company that manages the A1 motorway in Portugal! I want everybody to know about the way Brisa operates. Disgraceful!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorway tolls

@ Miguel. I'm sorry to hear that your bad experience with the motorway has put you off returning to Portugal. You're missing out on a wonderful country, even if they sometimes do things that drive you mad!

Paul V

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorway tolls

when in Rome.......