We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

Hi - I booked a trip to Lagos in a couple of weeks via Expedia and opted to pay for the shuttle transfer between Faro airport and our hotel (it worked out at £27 per person, there are 2 of us, for return journey - I thought this was quite reasonable?!). I have looked into it and the transfer is with Best Transfers4u. Has anyone had any experience with them? Any views on reliability / service?

I am now a bit concerned however that as we are staying in Lagos, listed as zone 4, it is going to take forever to get to the hotel. What do people think?

As there's only 2 of us I didn't really want to fork out for a private transfer. I've done a bit of research and haven't found anything quoted below about 130 euros return, which is more than double what I am paying at the moment. However, if the transfer could take hours and hours then I could be persuaded. Do I take the risk? I am particularly anxious as our flight from London doesn't arrive into Faro until late at night.

Advice appreciated!

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

A shuttle transfer implies a bus with other passengers and multiple drop-offs at various resorts and accommodations along the way.

I could be wrong but 'zone 4' suggests you may not be the first to be dropped off.......

Faro to Lagos should only take just over an hour by private transfer. It could take up to 3 hours by a shuttle bus.

From a personal point of view I would always go for the private transfer and pay the extra. However, we've always travelled as a group of 3 or 4 so the cost averages out quite favourably per passenger.

I've noticed other people on this forum asking if people would be willing to share a private transfer to save money. You never know, there may be another couple on your flight going to Lagos in exactly the same situation......

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

Lagos will almost certainly be the last drop off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

Thank you both for the prompt feedback. It is appreciated. Unfortunately I think we will probably be the last drop off too - agreed.

I guess I hoped that the bus would only have 8 or so people on as I have used "shuttles" like this before in other countries and this is how it has been. Maybe this is wishful thinking though. The photo on Expedia is of a small minibus, but I know this could well be misleading!

I also wondered if the bus would go directly to zone 4 rather than through 1-3 as well. If it doesn't stop through 1-3 I could deal with it. What do you reckon from experience of these kind of shuttles? If anyone else reading this has experience with Best Transfers4u and could advise about this that would be great... ?!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

"I also wondered if the bus would go directly to zone 4 rather than through 1-3 as well. If it doesn't stop through 1-3 I could deal with it."

I would greatly doubt you'll be lucky enough to bypass the busier resorts en route. Might be worthwhile dropping the company an email.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

I agree with MCG there is no way it will pass through other zones if not completely full for Lagos , lately shared transfers seem to be taking as long as flights from UK to get to resort, I suppose sign of economic times ,coach firms need to get every bang for their buck

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,422 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

It's really pot luck with these companies. If 48 other people arriving at more or less the same time have booked to go to Lagos or nearby, you might go more or less straight there. On a bad day, they may consolidate small groups off several incoming flights (meaning a wait at the airport) then as they say above, 2 or 3 hours touring the Algarve dropping off couples here, there and every where.

Whatever, it might be a waterless 2 hours or more on the coach.

And be sitting down when they give you the pickup time for the return journey.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
426 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

In my experience worth every penny for a private transfer I know it is a lot but you will reach Lagos a lot less frazzled than sitting impatiently on a coach that has three stops to make before your own. As Cubsur says they could have you waiting for other incoming flights to fill the coach to make it worth their time too. haven't used a shared transfer for five years now after sitting on a coach for almost two and a half hours coming from Faro to Lagos we just factor the cost of our transfer in to our holiday costs now.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 12:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I am leaning more and more to switching to private transfer instead. Your points about waiting for other flights are good ones, I didn't even think of that. Our flight back to London is the last one of the day at 22.05 - we picked it because we thought we could get a full extra day in Portugal. Cubsur, your comment about needing to sit down when they give the pick up time for the return journey has really made me think and wonder if the shuttle transfer will cut into what we had planned as a long final day!

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable / reasonable private transfer companies? I know that there are a million threads about this on here which I have gone through, but it seems like there are tens of recommendations and I don't know which to trust.

Cheers again all.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
426 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

Always use Algarve365 ourselves 150eu return and consistently good service, but I have read other posters recommending Yellowfish all a matter of choice and price.

Europe
Level Contributor
279 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Faro to Lagos - shuttle transfer booked - advice needed!

We have used the shared shuttle on previous occasions Resorthoppa same family and it can be a hit and miss depending on how many drop offs and if the driver knows his way. Lagos is usually the last drop off and we've had some good and bad experiences in the past. To us they don't seem to be as good as they used to be years ago and for that reason and some bad experiences we have given up and now use Yellow Fish transfers and they are brilliant. End of the day you pay for what you get. As someone said in a previous posting on this issue sometime ago "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" and I must say it is so true and stuck in my mind. Treat yourself to a private transfer for peace of mind. Enjoy Lagos.