We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers questions

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
661 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First timers questions

Hi, first post in this forum so hopefully you can help,

Thinking of Lagos for next years holidays in July or August but not sure where to stay. We would prefer self catering in a good complex with a good pool area. Ideally no more than a 15min walk to a nice beach & the same distance to a nice selection of restaurants & bars (bars not so important as we will have two kids with us).

Safety & security is important as regards where we stay & walk to in the evenings, if you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, it's basically a chill out holiday but every three or four days would like to go & do or see something,

Thanks,

Naughtysmurf

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers questions

Apartment near marina or at marina club

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers questions

Welcone Naughtysmurf,

This summer will be my families fourth visit to Lagos (me, wife, 8 year old son). We always stay in private rentals at the Marina. Sites such as Owners Direct & Holiday Rentals have good selections. This area would definitely fit your remit. The apartments can be divided into three groups: those with free access to the Marina Club's pool (which is excellent), those with access to their own pool (which we are doing for the first time this summer) & those with no free pool access whatsoever. Be careful to ensure you do not book one without pool access if it's high on your priorities.

Tommy

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers questions

I agree with both previous posts. Anywhere on the marina would be no more than 15 minutes to the beach Meia Praia and a tad less to the main town centre where most of the restaurants are. Somewhere near to the beach Dona Ana also fits the bill distance wise, although it is a climb back up the hill whereas walking between the marina, beach, and town is on the flat.

Please be aware that some apartments/ developments list themselves as being on the marina, when in fact they are behind the marina up a steep hill in the Albardeira area.

If in doubt, come back to us.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 19:59
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers questions

just a word of warning re the marina club 4* aparthotel,

all studios overlook the adjoining municipal facility with views of cars, vans, campervans, bins and gas bottles.

needless to say, they dont tell you this , dont let them ruin your hoilday so beware!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers questions

naughtysmurf, if you do decide on a Marina Club studio, specify a pool view and you'll avoid any problems

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
661 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers questions

Thanks for the replies, points us in the right direction, ideally we will require a 2 bed apartment

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers questions

i can recommend these

http://www.marinaclub.pt/en/

http://www.cascade-resort.com/uk/home , they may have a shuttle bus to town

otherwise as suggested holiday rentals and owners direct

Piha, New Zealand
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers questions

There are so many options for self catering near the beach in Lagos that you may find it hard to decide. lagosportugal.com/accommodation/… has 6 options that may suit you. And if you want to be closer to what some might call the more beautiful beaches of Lagos, I would try looking at properties around Estrada da Ponta da Piedade (near Dona Ana beach).

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers questions

Must inform you pihasurfer, that at least two apartments on your website marked as being on Dona Ana are actually in the town. Unless it's your maps that are incorrectly marked.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 15:47
Piha, New Zealand
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers questions

This is true and some of the locations on the map are approximate. Reducing the risk of unlawful entry is paramount for these properties as they are often left empty for extended periods throughout the year.