We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagos to Praia Da Luz

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lagos to Praia Da Luz

Hi going to Lagos on 22th, would like to go to Praia Da Luz for a day is there a bus and how long will it take, also would like to see the sand sculptures what is the best way to do this.

thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,957 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

The bus takes about 25minutes, it's route 4. The service runs every 45 minutes on weekdays but is now very poor at weekends, with gaps of up to 3 hours between buses, so check times carefully. Fare is €1,60 cash paid on board.

The timetable can be downloaded at aonda.pt/templates/…Linha4Amarela.pdf

Terminal Rodoviário is Lagos bus station, Portas de Portugal-CTT is the stop on the Esplanada just past the market hall and the post office. The bus then goes up the hill past the little fort and the fire station and through Torraltina on its way to Luz.

They refer to Praia da Luz as "Igreja Sr.ª da Luz" which is the stop by the little church near the beach. The same stop is used for both directions.

Trust that helps.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

Is there any particular reason for going to Luz for a day.

If you are visiting friends or family it is understandable otherwise it is not worth visiting .

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

not even for the fabulous beach ? we know you have a downer on Luz Paultugal this forum is for advice not personal tastes ,obviously the thousands upon thousands who holiday there many of which are return visitors dont live in your world they all must be wrong

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,957 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

Sorry I missed the second part of the question about the sand sculptures.

if this is the one you mean

www.fiesa.org

It is not possible to get there by train or bus from Lagos. It is about a mile from the nearest bus stop of any sort and the buses from Lagos don't go anywhere nearby. The nearest you can get is the town of Armação de Pera, about 3 miles away. There are taxis there, sometimes!.

bus times : www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

They do have their own transport that picks up from nearby locations but the relevant website page "is on update" and no information is currently shown.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

I agree its a matter of opinion, I just dont think Luz warrants a full day visit.

Last we went ,had a walk around got ripped off for a round of drinks in an English style pub near the church, think we spent an hour there,family were totally unimpressed and couldnt wait to leave.

Just have the feeling it is more like a run down English resort .

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

The beach in Luz is no more fabulous than hundreds of others on the Algarve. In fact I think the term 'fabulous' is stretching the imagination a tad. It's a pleasant enough place to stay but Paul has a point about it not being anywhere near a first choice full day trip. Unless of course you have a personal reason for visiting.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

again personal choice

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

I agree, but as Paul and I have been visiting the area collectively for over 20 years I'd say it was a pretty informed choice.

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

We took the bus to Praia Da Luz & spent the afternoon there during one of our trips to Lagos. Wasn't exactly overwhelmed by it but glad we made the effort. Wouldn't dash back but that's no reason not to experience it once.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
390 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lagos to Praia Da Luz

The best way to see the sand sculptures is probably by hiring a car we have gone a couple of times and it really is well worth seeing but easier under your own steam, although I have noticed that some companies do run excursions to them. As to Luz again visited but felt that half a day was more than enough so worth bearing in mind if you are getting public transport .