We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

how are the standards is nearest alternative Portimao

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

What sort of treatment had you got in mind Paul?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

just in case of an emergency, someone asked and I did not have an up to date opinion

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

Went to Lagos hospital a couple of years ago with a footballer (from UK) who had a suspected broken ankle. He was initially refused treatment as he had no ID and no EHIC card.

Luckily his team were staying nearby and another member was able to get his passport within 20 minutes.

Once the system was in motion the treatment was perfectly acceptable. His ankle wasn't broken just badly sprained.

If you are taken in an ambulance you don't get the choice of where you are taken.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

I got the full treatment in Lagos and Portimao hospital in mid-April having tried to remodel a client's patio by diving off a ladder from 2 metres and acquiring a badly dislocated ankle.

I was carted off by the Bombeiros to Lagos, examined and x-rayed and then shipped to Portimao where I was taken into emergency, inspected and within minutes was in the OR having a metal bar ( as available from all good Portuguese Drogarias) shoved up my Tibia! After 4 days I went home.

I am still on crutches and hobbling. The general recovery period for this injury is 4,5 to 6 months. I appear to be ahead of the curve at less than two months and I have to say that the quality professional attention l got is a major contributory factor!

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

My wife had stitches put in a hand wound a couple of years ago. Process was slow but perfectly acceptable. Funny thing was her euro health card had expired, they treated her anyway and asked that she forward the details of her new card once she had it.

Lancs
Level Contributor
146 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

Paul

Thanks for starting this topic. Does anyone know where the nearest A and E hospital is in Lagos?

Thanks

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

from the square where they have put some water features on the front across the road from the sea.

the Square is called Praça Infante Dom Henrique ,

From here take the road between the catholic church and the chemist, about a minute walk the hospital is on the left side, you drive a car here but the parking isnt great.

Type the above square into google maps , they have street view now and you wil see how easy it is to find

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

Basically as paultugal says. Facing the square (with your back to the avenida and river) you head to the top left hand corner to the road behind the church (Santa Maria). Parking is pretty well impossible as the road is too narrow.

The square Praça Infante Dom Henrique (Prince Henry square) is at the sea end of the avenida (as opposed to the marina end). Very easy to find.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

Addendum.

If it allays any worries, I also had cause to use this hospital a couple of years ago. The examination was as thorough as I've ever received in the UK. Apart from the prostate examination which I thought a bit unnecessary as the problem was with my foot.

The last sentence is a a joke by the way.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 17:06
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone got any recent experience of the hospital in Lagos

A further point, I would also point out that if you need A&E and are a walk-in you may need to pay a small fee.

If you are transported in by ambulance, the fee is usually waived.

I would also like to add that we are talking about the state hospital in Lagos.

There is also a full private hospital which can be accessed by those with appropriate insurance -

www.algarvemedicaltourism.com/index.php

I would also here like to add that despite the fact that salaries in the State Hospitals here in Portugal are nothing to write home about, it it amazing how many staff from Surgeons through to the humblest cleaner have some capacity to speak in English. Luckily I am reasonable fluent in Portuguese, but when I was in the Orthopedic ward at Portimão there were a lot of Brits, (tourists and residents) in the ward and it never ceased to amaze me how the staff were willing to try to communicate in English if needed.

I salute them!