We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

Rochester, NY
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

Does anyone know where to find sea shells in the Algarve? We are staying in Lagos but have a car and can get around if any of the beaches are especially known as a good spot for shelling. Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,830 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

A couple of years ago we picked up a big bag full from the beach in Alvor [ just along from lagos ] . We were down there quite early so probably a lot to choose from . I would imagine most of the beaches would be the same .

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
52,168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

Come to the beach in Albufeira!

A couple of years ago a huge project took place to widen the beach and make it higher to better protect the cliffs from erosion and the town from the sea. They dredged millions of cubic metres of sand from a spot on the seabed a couple of miles out to sea and it was FULL of shells, some up to 8" across. All that was sprayed onto the existing shoreline.

Over the couple of years since, a lot have been washed away or broken or buried but there are still big piles of them by the cliffs and they can be found quite easily in some other areas.

Lots of Albufeira beach pictures here

Level Contributor
612 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

We usually go to Lagos at Easter and I get up early to get down the beaches to go shelling sometimes. Seems to depend on weather or tides or something but it varies what I find!!! However I have found some lovely shells and also collect large cockle-type shells which I fill up with smaller shells or small pebbles of one or other colour. Sorry to sound sad!!! Also I have noticed that whatever time I go shelling..........someone is always ahead of me!!! Have fun!!! Save some for me!!!

Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

Alvor beach is good but the islands by the airport are great for shells. A good way to kill a few hours before your flight home.

Level Contributor
1,537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

plenty of shell on meia praia, not huge ones but we always bring some back and put the in a glass tube vase filled with water

6. Re: Sea shell hunting in the Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:21
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor