We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wines

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wines

We have booked a villa for the 1st week of August 2014. I can't be too sure of the exact location of the villa but I know that there is a Aldi Supermarket very close by and also a Lidl Supermarket around 15min walk from the villa.

We love wine but mainly prefer French Chablis, Pouilly-Fumé or Sancerre. I don't know much about Portuguese wine so can wine experts on here someone make suggestions for similar wines? Also, are there any off-license type shops (like the equivalent of Majestic Wine in the UK) where you can try wine before you buy?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wines

There are some superb undiscovered Portugese wines,like tuscany restaurants sell some really good house wine by the jug

The vinho verde goes great with or without fish barbequed.

Somehow it tastes so much better in the Algarve

yorkshire
Level Contributor
150 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wines

I agree - go local vinho verde. It is light and fresh. Though it may be bit different to your taste. I am a sauvignon blanc fan. I love Portuguese wine. Experiment I say!

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wines

Try white wine from the Sado or Setubal area!

Pegoes is one of my favorites.

You can get them from Pingos just down the road from Lidls. Unlikely you will find wine tasting in many outlets!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wines

We always drink the Portugese wines while in Lagos and find the ones from the Alentejo region excellent, usually the waiters in the restaurants are very happy to advise on choice.We also enjoy the French wines here at home but as areio says experiment I doubt you will be disappointed.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wines

Yes experiment. At supermarket prices you can afford to get it wrong on the odd occassion.

Intermarche (which from your description may not be that close however) always have different wines on offer to sample.

There are very few dedicated wines shops, and mostly near the town centre, though I would be very confident you'll not be disappointed by the selection, price and quality available from the supermarkets.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wines

Thank you all for your response .... looks like I will be doing a lot of experimenting ; )

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
811 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wines

My personal preference is for wines from the Alentejo region (from Borba, Estremoz) for reds, and Douro region for whites.

For trying out the whites, you may check out the following website, to give you an idea. It's just one grower out of many, many others, but I've never been disappointed with it. To try out something which is relatively cheap but quite good, I suggest to go for the "entry level", which is Porca da Murça -- that would set you back between 4.50-5 euros only. Here's the site http://www.realcompanhiavelha.pt/?s=3&ss=11.

If there's any wine-producing country where experimenting on your own will definitely be worth it, it is Portugal -- Portuguese love their wines good but cheap, in general!

8. Re: Wines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15