We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

Hi,

I'm looking to stay in Lisbon in August 2014 and would love to go to the Benagil sea caves. Are there any day tours departing from Lisbon or do I need to find my way to Benagil? I won't have the use of a car and therefore any advice on which transport I can take or any day tours would be appreciated.

Regards Suzette

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

You will have to take the train from Lisbon to Faro , and then to Albufeira, and catch a train to Portimao.

From Portimao a taxi about 6 KM to Carvoiero where I suggest you stay for a night or 2 and you will be able to join a boat trip from there.

I am sure some of the experts who live locally will give you more info.

PS It about a 40 minute drive from Lagos to the beach benagil

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

Not at all, I'm sorry but this is incorrect info!

If you go on your own you can take a Renex bus from Lisbon Oriente to Lagoa, which is North of Carvoeiro. From there a taxi to Benagil which may cost around 12 euro one way.

http://www.renex.pt/

http://goo.gl/maps/0s0Xs

Another bus company from Lisbon is http://www.rede-expressos.pt/ leaving from Sete Rios which is adjacent to Jardim Zoologico metro station.

August is high season and the Algarve will be packed with people.

If you post your question once more on the Lisbon forum, you may get input re. organized day trips. I haven't heard of them but someone else might.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:10
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a day trip, as there are no early morning scheduled buses leaving Lisbon at present BUT if you must....

Get either the:

08:15 EVA Transportes bus from Lisbon Sete Rios Bus Station arriving Lagoa at 11:15.

or the

05:30/07:30 Renex.pt buses from Lisbon Oriente Bus Station arriving Armacao da Pera (Get off at the second stop by the sea front) at 08:50/10:50 and Lagoa at 09:00/11:00.

From either Adp or Lagoa get a taxi to Benagil. MAKE sure to arrange a time for the taxi to pick you up IN PLENTY OF TIME coming back or you are in for a long walk 6 to 7km walk back in the heat of the Algarve sun.

There are currently departures back to Lisbon from Lagoa at:

Renex.pt

17:05

18:20

20:10

EVA/Rede Expressos. (www.rede-expressos.pt)

19:00

20:00

Be aware that there may be more bus frequencies in summer and times may change.

ALSO Lagoa is the jumping of point for Benagil not Lagos.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:27
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,475 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

A 280km each way round trip is not my idea of a nice day out. Four hours travel each way, give or take, for how long at Benagil?

It can be done, as above and will cost about 20 euros each way for the coach / bus fares and 10 Euros or so for each taxi.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

Coming from Australia you're probably used to longer bus travels and you get to see some of Portugal's countryside. If you pursue, do get out in Lagoa as taxis from Armação de Pêra head back up to the main road, rather than taking the little countryside roads to go west and you'll end up paying more.

Here's a related post about the caves: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189117-i688-k55… with some feedback in it about the boat trip.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

I would advise you to stay overnight at least.

Can someone advise on the best way by train, because there would be no way I would contemplate such a bus journey

7. Re: Wanting to visit Benigal from Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lagos
Recent Conversations