We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Race Circuit Potimao

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Race Circuit Potimao

Exactly where is the new Race Circuit, I want to locate it on a map, but don`t know where it is.

Where is the nearest resort , with a beach, and how easy is it to get around by public transport.

Whats the area like, modern , traditional, touristy?

In fact any info will be great.

Thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

There is an official website with a very poor map here

http://www.autodromodoalgarve.com/index/

Click on the link for English pages top right hand side

It's about 7 miles to the north of Portimao in what was open countryside. There is no scheduled public transport in the area.

The nearest beach resorts are Alvor and Praia da Rocha, both about 8 or 9 miles away.

The first event at the course is the World Superbikes the first weekend of November, when it will hardly be beach weather.

Hope that helps.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
772 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

Neither does it seem to be signed from the A22 as yet.I looked for some indication of it last week but could see nothing. I asked our taxi driver if it was visible from the A22, but he seemed to have no knowledge whatsoever of its existence ( which worried me a little!)

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

Looking at the photos on the site it still seems to be under construction. Hmm. 8 weeks to go ???

It seems a similar layout to Valencia.

Last time I was there in November I got very sunburnt and after this years UK summer anything dry is beach weather.

Thanks for the info.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

There was supposed to be a spur road being built off the A22 leading direct to the track. If that's not in place by November 1st, the whole of the Algarve will be one big traffic jam!

I read they expect around 100,000 visitors over that weekend.

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

I can agree with number, Valencia is very well linked to motorways, has a train direct to the circuit and still is a hughe traffis problem, God help Portimao, maybe I`l wait till next year and watch it on the box this time.

London
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

It’s very very close to the exit at junction 3 off the A22. Make your way to junction 3 and there will be signs to the circuit or…follow the crowds! Aficionados are not easily put off! It should be great fun!

More on transport links nearer the time!

ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

I presume you've found it by now. If not, and for others, here goes.

Travelling west on the motorway, pass all ramps signed portimao, pass the ramp for Alvor. THE NEXT EXIT RAMP ( 5-6 Kms after the Alvor exit) IS THE DEDICATED LINK TO AUTODROMO.

Portimao is a large town; it's beach resort of Praia de Rocha is lively, with 1000's of beds in towerblock units.

Alvor (the nearest beach village to Autodromo) is traditional with many restaurants, hotels and self-catering. It is 12-15 min drive from the stunning circuit, which nestles between hills about 5kms from the coast.

Go. You won't be disappointed.

Sussex, England
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

hi I am hoping to out to WSBK in October I have seen a visual 360 tour of the circuit are their plenty of big screens any suggestions regarding the best viewing area

cheers

Jon

wales
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

I will have no transport of my own, so which is the best place to stay for ease of travelling to the circuit.

How will I get there ?, are there any public transport arrangements made yet.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Race Circuit Potimao

As far as I am aware, there are no public transport services to the Race Circuit which is about 15km from Portimão.

It will either be a very expensive taxi or a hire car I'm afraid.

Get answers to your questions about Portimao
Recent Conversations