We will have 3 nights in Sao Miguel, 3 nights in Pico and 2 nights in Terceira. I have done hours and hours of research but would really love your opinion on any of these items! Much appreciated in advance! We are so very excited for this trip!
Who we are- 30-something married vegetarian couple who loves wildlife, adventure, and nature. Zip lines, hikes, ecotours, wildlife, waterfall rappelling, wineries, distilleries, etc.
1. To rent a car or to do excursions? If we decide to rent a car to explore Sao Miguel over booking excursions with travel companies for things like Cetedes, are we going to miss out? We are running out of time to decide! I don't want to book a car we won't use much, but I don't want to book excursions for things we can otherwise do on our own.
2. What are your favorite things to see and do on Pico? We have 3 nights here, would love to know your favorites!
3. Would you trade one of your 3 days in Pico for a day trip at Faial? What was your favorite part of Faial?
4. Terceira- what were your favorites? We have no idea what to do here. Car or excursions, combo?
5. Is there a specific tour or tour company you would recommend? If you went waterfall rappelling we would love to hear your thoughts! We really want to do this.
6. Whale watching- when you went did you see a lot of whales or dolphins? We have done several of these all over the world and always had a rather disappointing experience. I know wildlife is never guaranteed, but would love to know your thoughts if you went- and which island you did the experience on.
7. Does anyone know of any vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants? We're coming prepared with plenty of protein bars, but we do love to eat great food and would love to find a place able to accommodate our dietary needs.
Any tips, tricks, recommendations, do's, don'ts, etc. are very appreciated! Thank you for your time!