We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

Hi

We are thinking to go to The Azores for 7 nights in august. It looks great but we can't narrow down what we should do.

We want to spend 4/5 days exploring - we aren't hikers but don't mind a bit of a walk, happy to rent a car and love wandering through villages / towns and seeing local areas.

We also want 2/3 days just relaxing by a pool or on a beach - maybe with some surf.

We've never been before, and will be flying in from London - we can go via Lisbon if an island other than Sao Miguel is recommended.

Where should we base ourselves ? Which island?

Any hotel / lodge recommendations? Ideally with a pool ?

and what are the must see sights?

And am i right that the weather will be good - about 26 but not much hotter? i struggle with anything more than that!

I'm really looking forward to going so thank you in advance for your ideas

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,564 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

You can do all that at São Miguel or divide your time between São Miguel and Santa Maria islands. You can go by ferry to this island, www.atlanticoline.pt There's a big festivity in Santa Maria from August 11 to 15. The weather in the Açores can be unpredictable, so expect some occasional showers and an high level of humidity. It's never too hot or too cold.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

During our visit to the Azores last year, we stayed four nights in Ponta Delgada & three nights in the Hotel Caloura. We had the best of both worlds, city and beach / countryside with a great pool in a beautiful setting.

May be interested in my trip report and photographs, this will hopefully give you lots of ideas :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Have a fantastic time!

Ponta Delgada...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

Hi,

If this is your first trip to Azores, I would recommend without any doubt to visit São Miguel island as the first interaction with Azorean landscape and culture. São Miguel island provides ample and varied sight seeing points of interests from beaches to volcanic lakes and lush green landscape. The volcanic lakes (Lagos do Fogo, Sete Cidades and Furnas Lake) are a must visit locations. If you want to chill out and enjoy the quiet of a small village, spend few nights in Furnas (45 minutes drive from the main city of Ponta Delgada) (Terra Nostra Garden Hotel within an old botanical garden and beside a volcanic medicinal spring could be a great place to unwind for few nights). Take the trail around the Furnas Lake, stop in the south margin of the lake to see the famous church of 19th. century gentleman-farmer and experimental naturalist José do Canto. The recently opened Furnas Monitoring & Research Centre is just few steps from the church, providing useful information to understand the ecosystem of the lake and the environmental project to save it. On the north margin of the lake, check out the volcanic fumaroles and don't forget to have for lunch the famous "cozido" (boiled stew) slow cooked by the volcano.

There are plenty of things to do in seven days.

Feel free to ask anything whenever you feel.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 23:25
Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

Hi

For your first trip to the Azores, I'd either go to Sao Miguel or Faial. From Faial you have access to Pico and Sao Jorge islands by ferry too. If you stay on Sao Miguel, then one of our client's favourites is the Quinta do Mar which has a pool and is half way along the south coast of the island. There is surfing at Praia do Populo near Ponta Delgada and also at the beach near Ribeira Grande on the north coast. Or you could split your stay between Ponta Delgada and Furnas which makes a good contrast.

Let me know if you want to know anything else!

Sarah

5. Re: 7 nights but what to do and where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:16